yahoo mail in Mail.app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mydel, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

OK so I have a question. On my iPhone yahoo mail works pretty well. But when I tried to set up account in Mail.app my password is rejected. I have regular mail whithout POP (free) but I thought once its activated by iPhone it will also work in Mail.app. Anybody know how to activate account in Mail?? Is it possible whithout upgrading to yahoo mail plus 25$/year)???

2. Mydel thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mydel

3. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

You can use MacFreePOPs (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20695) to access Yahoo mail via POP in Mail.app - I don't know how well that will work (in terms of keeping things in sync) with your iPhone using IMAP access though.

It does seem silly to give iPhone users (only!) IMAP access to mail but not make that access available on the iPhone users' computers.

Come on Gmail, you can do something better than this! IMAP for all!

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's not like this question hasn't been answered three or four dozen times, you know...MacFreePOPs works quite well for me, for what it's worth.

5. Mydel thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Sorry! Couldn't find it. But its answered now:p. I thought that I can tweak Mail to behave like an iPhone and download to my mail whithout any additional programs, but it seems like cant do that.
    Anyway Thanks!

6. Tommie Montana macrumors member

MacFreePops used to work for me too, but I started getting all blank mails. Every mail in my Yahoo account got the blank treatment so after trying a few other things I'm now reading it in webmail again because I don't want to risk losing any mails (I know I can leave them on the server so if I get blank mails I know I can read it in webmail but it's just as easy to every once in a while press y and enter in safari to get there).

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Huh, interesting. I've never seen that before. When I first got it, I did have some issues with getting Yahoo to work, but they updated the .lua configuration file (FreePOPs uses these to figure out how to work with each different web-based mail) and then, since then, I've been pretty issue free. All I really have to do is, when I reboot my iMac, once every 1-2 weeks, and MacFreePOPs opens up to launch the daemon, I sometimes have to help it run through updating everything.

Sometimes, for about 4-6 hours at a time, it will refuse to connect to one of the e-mail services, but it almost always goes away by itself, and with an update if not by itself. So that's an admitted flaw, but if, like me, you're seeing the mails on your Blackberry (or on your iPhone, like the OP), then it doesn't seem like a huge issue.

But that's really about it.