Yahoo Mail: is a good service?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AGX, May 31, 2015.

1. AGX macrumors regular

Hi,

some one is still using this mail service?

I have an old email address that I use some time, but there is some people that is still using it?

I see only Gmail address used from people... some Outlook/Hotmail and everyone that are using yahoo has switch to other.

Is a good or bad service?

2. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

no Yahoo you get a lot of spam, Gmail is less

3. AGX thread starter macrumors regular

4. illusionx macrumors 6502

People use gmail because Google. Otherwise, use what you like.
    I've been sticking mostly to hotmail, and my wife yahoo, but we both have a gmail account.

My hotmail account is almost 20years old, I don't want to switch around for nothing.

5. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

My first email address I got was with Yahoo and still have it today even if I use it less. It does seem to gain more junk mail than others but still pretty liable, I think.

6. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I personally like g-mail. Never had any issues with it.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I have a Yahoo account which I needed for Flickr. I get loads of spam. I use it for signing up when you have to give an email address.
    I only log in to it now and then.
    For everything else I use gmail.
    For personal stuff I use my @me.com

8. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

The very first email address my parents made for me when I was a young child was a Yahoo! email address. I still have it, but very rarely have a reason to log into it. It gets a lot of spam, but it also serves as my throwaway email address if I want or need to subscribe to something, so I expect that. Last I logged into it I remembered how much I hated the interface, which had originally pushed me away from the service (as well as the massive amounts of spam mail).

My main personal email accounts currently are @hotmail.com, @icloud.com, and a .edu from my school. I also have an @gmail.com solely for the purpose of managing youtube subscriptions.

9. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I have been using Yahoo! Mail since it started. Absolutely no problems.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I've had the same Yahoo email address for nearly 20 years and I get almost zero spam. It all goes to the spam folder. Their outstanding spam control is probably the only think I like (or care) regarding Yahoo.

11. Godzilla71 macrumors 6502

Godzilla71

I have to agree with aaronvan and Ulenspiegel I've also had the same Yahoo email for about 17 years or so and it has been great for me hardly any spam or major issues which is why I continue to use it.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I use gmail and outlook. No problems with either of them.

13. KALLT, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

KALLT macrumors 601

I still have my old Yahoo account in case I still receive something. Truth be told, I only kept it for so long because I always used desktop clients and it never bothered me otherwise. Yahoo had a huge benefit on iOS when it offered push e-mail exclusively right from the start. Yahoo’s web client has never been truly decent, but it’s awful now.

Regarding spam, I’d wager that in most cases, people have simply been negligent. I had two e-mail addresses. One was my very first address and I used it carelessly, so it received lots of spam. The second I used carefully and I have never received spam once (until I was stupid enough to use it for ordering flight tickets, it pushed me over the edge to switch to another provider this time). Yahoo Mail is absolutely great for disposable e-mail addresses, something which iCloud and, to my knowledge, Gmail don’t do nearly as good. I have about 30+ different ones and I have a specific use case for each one. Disposable e-mail addresses are great, because they conceal your true e-mail address while forwarding everything to your main address, unless you choose to break the link. The other benefit is that it helps identifying spammers when you use unique addresses for particular services. It helped me lots of times.

Combating spam is almost always a user fault. Never disclose your address, unless you’re absolutely sure that the recipient is sincere (be extra careful with companies). Use disposable or multiple e-mail addresses for less sincere recipients, so that spammers can be cut off, or use temporary e-mail addresses (e.g. fakeinbox.com) if you don’t want to share your e-mail address at all, but are required to. Don’t put it on a public website or profile (not even a private profile). Don’t click on anything if you think the e-mail is spam and block the loading of remote images if you can (most e-mail clients block remote images automatically once they identify an e-mail as spam), because it’s easy to verify that your e-mail address is still genuine (and hence continue the spamming). You just need a decent strategy.

I don’t recommend Gmail, because it has one of the worst privacy policies you can get. Every e-mail is datamined, every piece of data analysed. Resist the temptation of Google’s ‘free’ e-mail and use something decent. I recommend Protonmail.ch or Mailbox.org (which I now both use).

14. woodywoodz Suspended

woodywoodz

I use gmail all the time. It works well, without any problem.

15. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I used Yahoo almost exclusively for ten years - the only issue I had was the annoyance of the seemingly ever-changing user interface screwing up my "flow".:p However, one day I logged in to go back and find a website registration email from years ago, only to find that my inbox stopped at around nine months before the date at the time. Almost ten years of emails, vanished, some of them ridiculously important. Yahoo said there was nothing they could do.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, however now I have a different email provider, and I use Mozilla Thunderbird and store all my emails locally. At least now if I lose them all, it will be my fault. :rolleyes:

16. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

My first email address was a yahoo email address. Back then in 2002 I don't think Yahoo! had any much spam issues like it has today. The interface wasn't too bad, and was pretty good, but now I think Yahoo! Mail has lost some of it'd edge that it had, there are more better services such as Outlook, Gmail that handle spam much better and have a much better interface and organisational structure to it's system.

I do keep it around as I now use it for my twitter stuff and for my American iTunes account.

17. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

My first email account was a Yahoo! account back in 1998. Then I went to Hotmail and MSN for a while. Then Earthlink and in 2005 when Gmail was a beta invite only, I used that for a number of years. These days I am using my old .mac address as my primary account.