Yahoo mail problems with iphone4/ipad2 and ios4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thewired1, Oct 15, 2011.

1. thewired1 macrumors member

So I have an iphone 4 (jailbroken with 4.2.1) and an ipad2 (jailbroken with 4.x.x) and last week my yahoo mail accounts stopped downloading new messages. The accounts are able to send emails fine, just not receive new emails. The date at which it stopped is the same on both IOS devices. I have about 4 different accounts and its impacting all of them. This is what I've tried so far:

1. I have removed the accounts from the iphone/ipad and setup again. It verifies the account settings OK but no new emails.
    2. Changed the password to an incorrect one and it recognizes the bad password until I correct it.
    3. I have deleted extra emails from my accounts.
    4. Reboot & shutdown each device.

I'd rather not reset the devices since I'm waiting for IOS5 to be jailbroken for each. Any ideas? It's odd that the problem is exactly the same for two different devices.

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

You need to create a me.com account via icloud and switch the mail option to one to get push from yahoo.

I had the same issue and now get push e-mails all the time.

3. thewired1 thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm... according to the icloud website, I need to create an account with ios5. How did you create your account with ios4?

4. thewired1 thread starter macrumors member

SO... I've checked my appleID and logged into mobileme. None of the icloud options are available to me unless I'm running IOS5 or LION.

It seems REALLY odd that I need to upgrade EVERYTHING just to get my yahoo mail to work.

5. thewired1 thread starter macrumors member

Quick update... I've tried to reset the network settings and rebooted. No change.

Any ideas? I'd love to get email working on these items again!

6. thewired1 thread starter macrumors member

I was hoping it was a problem with the yahoo servers that would resolve itself but that has been no change yet.

Am I really the only person with this problem? Anybody have any ideas that don't require me to upgrade to IOS5 or update my computer to LION?

7. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well I have yahoo and dont have any problems. it must have something to do with your account settings on yahoo. I doubt its your device since its the same on both.

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

You need a me.com account and have mail on even if you don't use it and it will work

9. thewired1 thread starter macrumors member

BUT the only way I can find to create a me.com email address is through icloud and that requires setup with IOS5 or LION. It doesn't seem correct that the ONLY way to use yahoo email on an iphone is to upgrade. That would mean that every person in the world not using IOS5 or LION can't access their yahoo email!

Am I missing something?

----------

I thought so as well but it's affected multiple yahoo email accounts at the same time on multiple devices. I've also gone through and checked all the settings available and there is nothing that would correct this that I could find.

10. thewired1 thread starter macrumors member

In case anyone in the future has the same problem and finds this thread via searching...

The problem finally resolved itself after about 2 weeks. All of my yahoo mail accounts just started working on both IOS devices.