Yahoo Malware and safari.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SOLLERBOY, Jan 6, 2014.

1. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Hi, I just found out about the Yahoo malware incident from a few days ago and I did use the site during that time. I haven't noticed anything suspicious but what is the best way of checking for malware on my mac?

I do have Java installed because crash plan needs it but I think the latest safari on mavericks keeps it disabled? It's the Java from apple not oracle.

Thanks for any advice!

2. GGJstudios, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're fine. If you're running recent OS X versions, Java is disabled in Safari by default. If you're running an earlier OS X version, you can manually disable it until you reach a trusted site that requires it. All of the malware dropped by the Yahoo incident is Windows malware, none of which can run on OS X.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware Info for tips on practicing safe computing.

3. SOLLERBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

I;ve used your guide before and it helps. I've installed adblock now too so that should help further. I can't wait for crashplan to launch a native app so I can ditch Java.

Many many thanks for your reply, it is really appreciated.

4. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This is really something completely different. Crashplan and other local apps that use Java are using the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to run the app.

The security issue in browsers involves the Java web plugin, not the JRE.

You can safely have the JRE and Crashplan running and there is no security issue when browsing. You can even completely remove the Java web plugin from /Library/Internet Plug-Ins if you like and Crashplan and other Java apps will continue to work just fine.

6. SOLLERBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great to hear, thanks for the info!

My internet plug ins folder is empty. Does this mean It's not installed?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Exactly. :)