Yahoo Mobile design change? A/B Testing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jack426, May 14, 2015.

1. Jack426, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015

Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

When I search with Yahoo on my iPhone 6 Plus, the design has changed, and now it looks like this. Does anyone else's phone look like this? If I clear the search history and cookies it goes back to the normal view, but after another search, it looks like this again. Did Yahoo change their design without telling anyone?

Attached Files:

2. Jack426, May 14, 2015

Jack426 thread starter macrumors regular

Jack426

Here's the original (better, imo) design:

Attached Files:

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

It generally happens on sites like that--there are design changes that they make or sometimes test on different users.

4. Jack426, May 15, 2015

Jack426 thread starter macrumors regular

Jack426

Thanks for responding. I noticed it on other phones too, I wish Yahoo would notify of design changes/tests. I guess I'm going to have to switch back to Google. I generally used to like Yahoo, and their search results, but recently I've noticed more issues, ads, design changes (some good, some bad), etc. and it's really annoying.

5. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

The first image looks way nicer and cleaner to me.

The second image (the original (better) one) the first result takes up WAY too much space with the sub links in list form and overall shows less results right off the bat.

6. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Yep, pretty much all big websites do this to test new features on a select few.

There's a word for it, but it escapes me right now.

7. Jack426 thread starter macrumors regular

Jack426

I welcome a cleaner design, but I've noticed that with the new design, comes a downgraded user experience.

Ex. On the old design if I searched for "Apple Order Status" the first result was the login page to check your orders. On the new design the login page is not even in the first search results.

Also, I search with Yahoo News a lot, so missing the link on the top is really annoying.

Hopefully Yahoo will work on the new design to return the user experience back to its original state.

----------

I believe it's A/B testing? Correct me if I'm wrong.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Google does similar bucket/A/B testing as well. But basically its whatever works at the time, until it might change to something that doesn't work as well.

9. Jack426 thread starter macrumors regular

Jack426

Yeah, testing different UI changes is great and needed for improvement, I just don't like being the person tested on. # lol