Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jack426

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
When I search with Yahoo on my iPhone 6 Plus, the design has changed, and now it looks like this. Does anyone else's phone look like this? If I clear the search history and cookies it goes back to the normal view, but after another search, it looks like this again. Did Yahoo change their design without telling anyone?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It generally happens on sites like that--there are design changes that they make or sometimes test on different users.

Jack426

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
It generally happens on sites like that--there are design changes that they make or sometimes test on different users.

Thanks for responding. I noticed it on other phones too, I wish Yahoo would notify of design changes/tests. I guess I'm going to have to switch back to Google. I generally used to like Yahoo, and their search results, but recently I've noticed more issues, ads, design changes (some good, some bad), etc. and it's really annoying.

Last edited:

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The first image looks way nicer and cleaner to me.

The second image (the original (better) one) the first result takes up WAY too much space with the sub links in list form and overall shows less results right off the bat.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012

Yep, pretty much all big websites do this to test new features on a select few.

There's a word for it, but it escapes me right now.

Jack426

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
The first image looks way nicer and cleaner to me.

The second image (the original (better) one) the first result takes up WAY too much space with the sub links in list form and overall shows less results right off the bat.

I welcome a cleaner design, but I've noticed that with the new design, comes a downgraded user experience.

Ex. On the old design if I searched for "Apple Order Status" the first result was the login page to check your orders. On the new design the login page is not even in the first search results.

Also, I search with Yahoo News a lot, so missing the link on the top is really annoying.

Hopefully Yahoo will work on the new design to return the user experience back to its original state.

----------

Yep, pretty much all big websites do this to test new features on a select few.

There's a word for it, but it escapes me right now.

I believe it's A/B testing? Correct me if I'm wrong.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for responding. I noticed it on other phones too, I wish Yahoo would notify of design changes/tests. I guess I'm going to have to switch back to Google. I generally used to like Yahoo, and their search results, but recently I've noticed more issues, ads, design changes (some good, some bad), etc. and it's really annoying.
Google does similar bucket/A/B testing as well. But basically its whatever works at the time, until it might change to something that doesn't work as well.

Jack426

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
Google does similar bucket/A/B testing as well. But basically its whatever works at the time, until it might change to something that doesn't work as well.

Yeah, testing different UI changes is great and needed for improvement, I just don't like being the person tested on. # lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.