Yahoo not working in MobileMail.app

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by madmaxmedia, Oct 15, 2007.

1. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Hi all,

I have tried 2 different Yahoo accounts in MobileMail (after selecting 'Yahoo' from the list that pops up when you open Mail.)

I type in my details, and after a bit it says it can't authenticate my account.

I've read of other people having the same problem, has anyone gotten it to work? I haven't yet tried setting it up manually, was hoping to try the built-in version and see if push works.

Thanks!

2. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

I Havent been able to either. I looked in the iphone forums and it seemed that some had issue but most were fine.

I am wondering if there is another bundle or framwork or something we need to copy over from Iphone to make yahoo mail work? I dont know enough about it though

3. jay81 macrumors member

There is no reason why Yahoo shouldnt be working with Ipod Touch. I think there is something wrong with bundle/frame work.

You should be able to have Free Yahoo and still get it on your touch based on this link

http://mobile.yahoo.com/iphone/mail;_ylt=AiNmitPfL.hbUrZsoJvWnfg8tQcJ

4. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, that's the big question- what's wrong with the framework, and is it possible to fix it? Have you tried it?

I normally use the mobile web link, but it would be nice to be able to use the Mail app instead.

5. sammyAD macrumors member

I followed the instructions copying the iPhone bundles over from the other FAQ thread.

I have Yahoo Mail Premium (UK) and mail.app is working perfectly for me.

I had to manually add the pop/smtp settings in the "other" option rather then going to Yahoo, but aside from that its all good.

I have read some places that you require the premium yahoo service to be able to access pop/smtp but i cant confirm this.

6. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

I haven't tried setting it up using the 'other' option, will try that next.

I wonder if doing it that way is the exact same. I was wondering we we could get the push Yahoo service on your Touches (but it's not really a big deal at all to me.)

Yahoo POP access costs extra, but I believe IMAP is free.

7. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

Okay, apparently Yahoo doesn't provide free IMAP access. They are only doing it for free for iPhone.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5515507

I wonder if when the Touch tries to verify/log in, the Yahoo mail server rejects it because it is not coming from a Touch. There has to be some sort of verification, otherwise anyone could use the IMAP server addresses.

8. matt52592 macrumors newbie

this ^^

9. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

I wonder if anyone can figure out what else is needed for Yahoo to think the touch is an iphone. ANyone with an iphone see any Yahoo directories in the file system?

10. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

I believe that's the regular known instructions for enabling the missing iPhone apps. Copy over apps, supporting files, and set permissions-

http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Jailbreak_Guide

11. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

I did a cursory lookover, but didn't find anything.

I think it is a bit more fundamental than that. When you use your web browser, your browser sends a user agent tag that identifies your browser, platform, etc. I imagine its something along those lines.

But we are copying all the Mail files over, since the iPod Touch completely lacks email. Hmmm...You'd think that since you are using the iPhone Mail app, it would verify okay with the Yahoo mail server.

12. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I agree. I think there might be even something else to it then that. Like maybe the ESN from the phone needs to be verified. In which case the touch does not have an ESN (or at least a Cingular ESN)

I cant look though to much I only have the apps from the phone that can be transferred but not the iphone itself.

13. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

Just bumping this once more, to see if anyone else has tried with different results.

Since the Touch is so similar to the iPhone and we're using the iPhone's mail app, you'd think it might be possible to hack something to enable Yahoo access from the Touch.

OTOH, if it was that easy to hack, then people might be doing it from their PC's as well for free Yahoo IMAP access.

14. dikiem macrumors member

15. verbalist macrumors member

izymail is ur answer my yahoo mail work on mine with no plus account

16. verbalist macrumors member

http://v3.izymail.com/gmailconfig.aspx

do it as yahoo though

then forward it to a gmail account which allows pop mail so izy will unlock yahoo to be forwarded to ur new gmail account to ur touch