Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Can't remember my password or other details for Yahoo, consequently can't log in on a computer. Yahoo being of little help.

BUT

I can access my mails from my iPhone as the password is stored there.

Is there any way of retrieving this stored password from my iPhone??

Any help greatly appreciated.

Frustratedly yours.........

aido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
yeah, thanks Mouton.
Sadly I can't remember the details they need, like dob and postcode.
Hence my need to try and recover the pw from my iPhone.

siufai

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
yeah, thanks Mouton.
Sadly I can't remember the details they need, like dob and postcode.
Hence my need to try and recover the pw from my iPhone.

You don't know your birthday or where you live?

aido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

no my gps doesn't work!

Of course I know, I'm just not in the habit of supplying that info to yahoo, and consequently can't remember the info I gave them. Doh!

siufai

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
They also give you the option to send the login information to a secondary email, did you set one of those up?

aido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
They also give you the option to send the login information to a secondary email, did you set one of those up?

Yes I'm pretty certain that I did.
Have asked them to send it to that address, but all I get is the automated response of "please go to the I've forgotten my password page".

A vicious circle.

Equally, can you believe that they won't email me my own password to my own yahoo account, which I can receive on my iPhone with no trouble. (smell or otherwise)

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
Hehe, let's just suppose for the sake of argument that it's Sarah Palin's iPhone that you've somehow managed to get hold of. I reckon Yahoo might be behaving pretty sensibly.

aido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Yes, pretty sensibly if they want to stop me from sending an email from a computer as opposed to her (or indeed my) iphone. I'd call it a stroke of ****ing genius it's so sensible. For the sake of argument, that is.

aido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
so no one knows huh, if it's possible to hook up the phone to a mac (or PC) to retrieve stored passwords??

diametric

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2006
Sydney
Uh, dude.
It seems quite obvious that you've got a hold of a friend's iPhone and want access into their email account.

I'm sure that if you can trust Yahoo with all that info. about the personal/work related emails youre receiving. You can trust them with your date of birth and postcode - AND THE THING THAT ***** ME, IS THAT YOU'VE GIVEN IT TO THEM BEFORE. THEYRE JUST CONFIRMING DETAILS.

Newbie, please leave now. Do not collect $200 as you pass go.

aido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

A little wide of the mark there darling. Any sensible, helpful, and legible replies considered.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
The only sensible (but unhelpful) thing I can think of to say is: remember that security questions are there for your security, so next time give truthful answers and you won't get in this situation :D

PS I would certainly hope that any passwords on my iPhone could not be retrieved by someone who stole it.

aido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Yeah I guess you're right Mouton, thanks.

The only problem there, is that any colleague or friend could probably quite easily hack your account in that instance. For example it's quite likely that your dob and postcode may be known to several people in the workplace, with much mischief to be had. Hence my reason for giving less than truthful answers.

I suspect the amount of people born on the 1st of the 1st, or December the 25th, would be pretty high, were Yahoo to be surveyed ;)

The annoying thing is that I can see from the stored passwords area on the iPhone, the amount of characters that the password is. It's just a question of running through all usual password combinations, and trying to get the peg to fit the hole.

It's driving me nuts, and I'm forever becoming closer to just scrapping the account and starting a new one. Shame, 'cause I like the username.

IF I ever find a way, I'll be sure to post it on here to help others who might encounter a similarly frustrating situation.

I have backed up the iPhone on my computer and would have thought that the info might be stored somewhere, but I'm yet to find it. All part of being a 'newbie' I guess.

Thus I thought I might be able to draw on the knowledge of others here. I still live in hope that someone might have the answer, rather than being met with suspicion from certain 'seasoned posters', so accustomed to technology that after the hugely empirical 110 posts they have failed to employ the uses of spell-check, let alone a correct use of the English language. Must be all that time spent squinting through a giant magnifying glass.

aido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
As an addition Mouton.

If someone were to steal your iPhone, then they would have access to your emails unless you subsequently changed your passwords.

aido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Well I'm slowly learning.

It appears that iTunes backs up the iPhone in a folder User/Library?Application Support/MobileSync and I've managed to retrieve a whole load of information using dbhelper (useful for retrieving lost photos etc).

Sadly I'm still unable to find the account password to my yahoo email, and still trying to remember:mad:

Someone reckons that a jailbroken phone may give access to the accounts passwords plist - next on my agenda.

Ho hum

aido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Right, an update.

Having jailbroken, I've managed to extract /private/var/mobile/Keychains/keychain-2.db (This is supposidly where the email accounts and passwords info is stored)

Having then opened this file with SQLite, I can see that there is inded plenty of information relating to email accounts shown in one of the tables.

However, it would seem that the passwords fields are encrypted.

So, any bright spark know how to decrypt these fields? I've googled, but alas nothing. So near, yet so far.

DPA

macrumors 65816
Right, an update.

Having jailbroken, I've managed to extract /private/var/mobile/Keychains/keychain-2.db (This is supposidly where the email accounts and passwords info is stored)

Having then opened this file with SQLite, I can see that there is inded plenty of information relating to email accounts shown in one of the tables.

However, it would seem that the passwords fields are encrypted.

So, any bright spark know how to decrypt these fields? I've googled, but alas nothing. So near, yet so far.

Most of the times, things are encrypted and can't be decrypted. Last time I checked, you can't decrypt a .exe file, for example. And I don't think that Apple would have released any information on how to decrypt it, and hackers haven't succeeded.

David

aido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Okay thanks David. Guess I'm **** outta luck then, this being my last hope

imacaulay

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
Me too :-(

I have the same problem, the account in question being a "decoy" I use for suspect websites.
I get the wrong password message when I try to log in but I do get all the (mostly junk) email on my Ipad. There is apparently a way to decrypt the backup file on the PC using a forensic software package for the Iphone/pad/touch from a fairly well known Russian software company, however this has to be paid for upfront.
I have a feeling that this problem will become more prevalent as people get used to automatic log in systems. With regard to the security issue anyone with "secret information" shouldn't use the Iphone etc mail app but log in every time using a browser.
I would have thought it would be reasonable for Yahoo to to send an email with a link to change your password to the account in question after first sending an email to confirm the request and then imposing a time delay of say 7 days for the actual link.

SinYakuza

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
Me three.

I'm having the same problem. I made my yahoo a very long time ago and I just put random stuff for dob. Any ideas?:confused::confused::confused:

Nathan of the vine

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2017
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Okay thanks David. Guess I'm **** outta luck then, this being my last hope

So I was curious as to this solution and did some digging:

On your iPhone: goto SETTINGS > ACCOUNTS & PASSWORDS > (here's the tricky part) APP & WEBSITE Passwords (at the top) > key in your phone code > YAHOO.COM - (username) > and whaalaa.

The interesting part - I know that my password is correct - but trying to log in through the yahoo website tells me my password is incorrect. Hmmmm, seems like Yahoo developers are really screwed if that's the case.

I'll dig a bit more as to why this is happening - not enough time - and most likely stop using Yahoo.

Good luck and I hope this helps you and others that stumble across this. Oh, I have a question for you:

How do I download all my email from yahoo in one shot - no forwarding?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So I was curious as to this solution and did some digging:

On your iPhone: goto SETTINGS > ACCOUNTS & PASSWORDS > (here's the tricky part) APP & WEBSITE Passwords (at the top) > key in your phone code > YAHOO.COM - (username) > and whaalaa.

The interesting part - I know that my password is correct - but trying to log in through the yahoo website tells me my password is incorrect. Hmmmm, seems like Yahoo developers are really screwed if that's the case.

I'll dig a bit more as to why this is happening - not enough time - and most likely stop using Yahoo.

Good luck and I hope this helps you and others that stumble across this. Oh, I have a question for you:

How do I download all my email from yahoo in one shot - no forwarding?
So many years later, chances are it either got figured out or people have moved on already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.