Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
I am curious what everyone's experience is with yahoo push after this update. It obviously lagged before and I have no reason to think this update fixed anything as it's probably a yahoo issue. I just emailed myself and had a response within seconds...a good sign?

Dr. Cheesesteak

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2005
I am curious what everyone's experience is with yahoo push after this update. It obviously lagged before and I have no reason to think this update fixed anything as it's probably a yahoo issue. I just emailed myself and had a response within seconds...a good sign?

I sent one mail to my yahoo account from my .mac account and received it in a matter of seconds.

Then I tried sending one from my wife's yahoo account to mine... and it's been about 15 minutes and it still hasn't shown up on the phone.

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
California
I'm also interested as this is a major beef I have with the phone. I just sent a test message about a minute ago and have nothing on my iphone. So I can only assume that they are playing with us because push still sucks.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
My email is awful on here. It is set to check every 15 minutes, but only polls the server on my Yahoo acct when i click into the mail widget. I've had nothing but bad luck with email on here after initial setup. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I have been getting mail all week without problems. However, I am not sure how fast it is since I don't test that very often. In another Post I did a test where if WiFi was on it would not Push but with WiFi Off it started working again. I don't think this happens all the time but I don't use WiFi that often.

Something new I did as a test. I added a dummy (but valid with no mail) POP account so that I could have it POLL every 15 min which I was hoping would activate Yahoo Push if it stop. After that my usage stats were matching my standby stats (like it was looping). My battery then went down very quickly. Since then I deactivated my POP account and it has been fine ever since.

I think Yahoo Push is just very on again off again. I like it better then using a POP account because of the battery life and I can clean it up easily via the web interface (can't easily delete all mail on the phone).

I just hope that some day they stand behind what they say in the iPhone User Guide:
Yahoo! provides free “push” email accounts. With a push email account, email is transferred to iPhone as soon as it is received by the mail server.

On Yahoo:
http://mobile.yahoo.com/iphone

Juvenile

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
As a warning, I have sent "reply" emails from Yahoo push that end up in other contacts' inboxes. Be careful what you send or write. Overall, it's the best pushmail I have used but I am a little more careful now with what I send.

Pattycerts

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
The "PUSH" is still crap for me, works when it wants to. Nothing changed after the update.

It's easy to test, if you get 3 emails at the same time, most likely its NOT working. Unless you were sent 3 emails at the same time, which is very unlikely. I didn't get an email for 30 minutes on the same day I updated to 1.1.1, so I immediately deleted the acct and went back to Gmail-polling

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
With the time that has passed, if it's at all possible, yahoo push for me is even worse. The norm is more than 12 hours with no new email. Before it had periods of being snappy but now it's just pathetic. I've reverted to touching the update button for yahoo. Why is there no response from apple or yahoo on this?? It was touted as one of the MAIN FEATURES. It just doesn't work.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Yeah when the phoen first came out push worked for me, but it hasn't for a while. It doesn't even check every 15 minutes like it's suppose to.

But my .mac account is my main one I use, and it at least checks every 15 minutes.

I'm sure someday it might be sorted out, it's not a big deal for me.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
What do you mean by it doesn't check every 15 minutes like it's supposed to. If you have your mail setting on an account other than yahoo it should work. If it's yahoo it should push no matter what.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2007
Intermittently push... I miss bberry's push- It was awesome... Maybe that's what caused my crackberry addiction :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.