yahoo "push" email

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Natesac, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I was just on Yahoo.com and saw a link about iphone and yahoo mail. It says that yahoo mail automatically pushes to iphone. I thought this was only for mobile me and exchange users. whats the deal?

2. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Yahoo has been Push for the iPhone since its initial launch.

3. dav146 macrumors regular

dav146

It really does work!

I thought that too, but i tried it, and it really does work. My iPhone is using Firmware 1.1.4 and I have a yahoo.co.uk account (I live in England). Within seconds of being sent a new email my phone registers it!

I am still going to purchase a mobileme account though as I like the syncing of calender.

If the 2.0 software enabled push gmail and calender syncing I prob wouldn't bother with mobileme, but will it ever come?

4. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

yahoo push email generally works. the push factor is arguable. most of the time i get instant email, some of the time nothing and when i check it manually i see a log of 30 emails that never showed up. As a service it works just enough to be useful but don't count on it.

5. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

i have the same issue. i think there's some middleware between yahoo and apple that does more like a "quick pull" of emails; in other words, the middleware checks for new mail on the yahoo server every 30 or so seconds and then "pushes" it to your device... such a method would explain delays. i've noticed the same issue on some blackberrys with hotmail and gmail.

from what i understand, the only true "push" method is to have BBIS installed on an exchange server. when i had a blackberry it was through my corporate IT who had BB enterprise installed on our exchange servers; email always got to my blackberry and my desktop at the exact same time. the same is not true of my hotmail (which was on the same blackberry)

once iphone enterprise comes out, it will have the same capabilities as BBIS/enterprise.

6. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

It's funny this post popped up.

I've been using push mail from Yahoo since the beginning.

I went to the Apple store last week to get something fixed and the sales guy was asking me if I had Yahoo mail working. I told him it's been working flawlessly and he told me that wasn't the case with everyone. He said Apple's relationship with Yahoo wasn't that great and they were looking to push their Yahoo Plus? (paid) service. I was a little surprised at that, but knew about the paid service since I wanted to get Yahoo mail from mail.app on my MBA (imap).

I wonder what the deal is there. I haven't had any issues with mail being delivered from Yahoo. There has to be more to it...

Could it be a fallout because of Mobile Me?

7. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I use Yahoo on my iPhone and I have not experienced any issues with it. My emails are received in a very timely manner :D

8. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

I'm using it, and most of the time, get my emails as fast as SMS. There's been a day or so here and there that it's slow, but overall, it's worked well. I have .Mac too, but stopped using the mail because it was terribly unreliable. I hope they get serious with .me and make a real service out of it.

9. Locoboof macrumors 65816

Locoboof

yeah for me its hit or miss, I get emails instantly when I'm at home.....if I'm away from home its a 40% chance I get them instantly the rest of the time I won't even get a notification I'll have to manually check and I'll get like 7 emails from 3 hours ago....I will be buying mobile me and forward my emails to my mobile me account and I hope this will fix my problem.......but just using yahoo alone its hit or miss for me