yahoo push not working?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tjespo22, Feb 2, 2009.

1. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

i had a yahoo account that worked fine with no problems and i made a new one since i kept getting spam emails that someome set me up for and this new account wont work with push im not sure why its yahoo still can anyone help me. also when i log into the account on yahoo's site the layout is different from when i logged in with my old name.
    thanks
    espo

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Yahoo push is really unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - like 2 hours before the email get's pushed.

If you want push enabled emails, use mail2web - it's free.

3. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Sadly, yes -- Exchange accounts are the only way to get semi-reliable push e-mail on the iPhone.

Too bad Apple didn't support IMAP IDLE -- if they did, anyone using most modern IMAP servers would have push e-mail for free. (I use gmx.com with my IMAP IDLE-supporting Nokia E71, and get messages < 20 seconds after they're sent.)

4. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

I use mail2web since Yahoo push is unreliable, it only works when it wants to. Mail2web is good, but not perfect, as sometimes I get connection errors.

5. slashjunior macrumors regular

MobileMe and Exchange are the only reliable push email. Mail2Web is good if you can put up with its limitations on the desktop. You can sync with Address Book but that is it. iCal doesn't have exchange support and the free version doesn't allow you to use apps like Outlook or Mail so you have to use Outlook Web Access which is way too basic.

I have given up with push email and just use Gmail and fetch every 15 mins. As a non-business user I don't really need my email pushed to me. You can use Google Sync or NuevaSync which uses exchange to push your contacts and calendars OTA. Both are still in beta though but both work well in my experience. I can't see why Gmail won't offer push email soon, once/if that happens that will hopefully force Yahoo into improving.

6. sychee macrumors member

Ya... It's such a pity that Google does not support Push Email. Fortunately, the Push Service works on calendar and contact sync for my iPhone.

7. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

One's got to assume that Push Gmail is coming very soon!

8. KarmaRocket macrumors member

KarmaRocket

chalk up another person who is not getting yahoo push email.

I tested on yahoo and my MobileMe account and the MobileMe was instantaneous. Doesn't bother me too much since I don't really use yahoo to often.

Push Gmail would be nice. It's on Android, they'll bring it to the iPhone soon. I just wish iphone mail threaded messages like in gmail or the desktop mail.app

9. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I found my Yahoo push works with on 3G, but not when on wifi. Go figure.

10. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

It *can* work on WiFi, but you're right that it often doesn't. The problem is, as far as I can tell, that Yahoo's push implementation uses UDP for out-of-band notifications. Since many WiFi hotspots have overly-aggressive firewalls/NAT implementations that kill or otherwise mangle UDP packets, Yahoo's push implementation doesn't fare well when using WiFi as one's primary connection. Yahoo haven't published any information regarding this -- it's just my theory based on what I've learned about the system through experimentation, exploration, and connection sniffing.

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I find that push works about 40% of the time. If I'm talking to someone on myspace or facebook and a large amount of emails are coming into my inbox in a short time, then Yahoo push works great.

12. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Good theory...I have no issues with push on 3g at all, which is fine with me, but it would be nice to get the same result everywhere.

13. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Yahoo Push suddenly stopped working for me completely last night until I deleted the account from my iPhone and added it back.

I really depend on it too because here in Japan emails are sent rather than text messages. The email my provider issues isn't really push. Without push, the iPhone is almost useless as a primary communication device here in Japan.

14. ineedamac macrumors 6502

Really? I have had a Yahoo! email account on both my first gen iPhone and my current 3G iPhone and I have not had any issues with my emails being pushed to the iPhone.

I also have an exchange account on my iPhone and have not noticed any issues with it either.

15. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

Mine works pretty sporadically. I think most of the time it works, but other times I'll go into the Mail app and it will force it to retrieve mail. I'll find that there is email several days old. Then it will start working again as mysteriously as it stopped.