Yahoo sbcglobal email only updates at home

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dawnn, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Dawnn macrumors newbie

I have a 32G ipod touch and have a problem with my sbcglobal email. For the first couple days it pushed my email anywhere I went. I loved it. Now the only place it can retrieve my email is at my house. I pull into my driveway and "ding," it let's me know my emails are there. All day long, everytime I get an email it will let me know it's there. Any other wi-fi connection is a no-go. Not at work, not at Starbucks, not at friend's houses, nowhere but home. It did work at one point, then just quit. I can't send mail, can't recieve mail. I get the message that says "unable to connect to server" if I'm persistent enough to sit there and make the screen come back up every time it gets dark when trying to wait it out.

I can do everything else online everywhere else, use Safari, App Store, Facebook,...I did notice that at the same time I stopped being able to recieve emails the red number on the Facebook Icon stopped updating too. It will show them if I go into the app, but not on the icon anymore at all. Not sure if that's related. I hoped last week's firmware update would resolve this, but it didn't. Any ideas?

I've tried deleting the account and setting it up again and that doesn't make a bit of difference.

2. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

Hmm I've been trying to think of a solution, but all I can think of is that it's the 2.2 update. Some people have said that it messes with the wifi. Has this been happening since you installed 2.2?

3. mzd macrumors 6502a

just curious, how did you originally set up your mail? i have SBC global on my touch and it works great. i don't get push notifications anywhere though. but sending and receiving works great on all wifi i've accessed (quite a few).
    i told iTunes to not sync my mail settings. instead i went through the mail setup on the iPod itself. i chose Yahoo! (sbcglobal uses yahoo email) and entered my email address and password. pretty sure everything else got setup automatically. it works great and even does IMAP (a feature not typically available to sbcglobal/yahoo mail users).

4. Dawnn thread starter macrumors newbie

I went through the setup, chose Yahoo & let it setup automatically. It isn't 2.2, I'd hoped 2.2 would fix it but really it made my wifi more unreliable. Pandora drops like crazy since 2.2. I don't know what my itunes setti be are, I'll have to check that out. I'll be close to an Apple store Thursday so maybe Ill have them take a look.