Yahoo sigh

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gypsy36, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Gypsy36 macrumors regular

So I'm one of the idiots who held onto her yahoo account because I wasn't a fan of gmail's policies. I'm trying to migrate now but I have eight years of emails saved and the third party options for bulk downloads make me nervous.

Can anyone suggest a safe way to download my emails in bulk to a hard drive? I cannot download them each individually.

Many thanks!

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This might sound like a combative question, but hear me out: why do you need to download the emails at all? Why not just keep the account but not necessarily use it?

I have two Yahoo accounts that I've had since before gmail even existed. I never saw the need to get rid of the accounts, I just use my gmail account now and sign into a Yahoo account if there's something I'm looking for there.

3. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Same here. I have a Yahoo account that I have transitioned to my "spam" account. Get into it about once a month to delete messages or if I need to look for hotel deals!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My wife has done the same (years ago), she kept the yahoo account, but its now the spam account when filling out forms. Just keep it and don't use it.

5. Gypsy36 thread starter macrumors regular

Not combative at all! Thank you for your thoughts. I guess I'm concerned with the safety aspect of it. If there are legit concerns about safety I don't want to leave my emails on the server.

6. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Just setup an IMAP account in a desktop email client (assuming you're on OSX, so Mail) using your Yahoo creds once you've connected you can simply drag the mail into a local storage folder and you're done.

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

There are options other than Yahoo and Gmail. iCloud for example since you are here on MacRumors. Outlook is another biggie.

8. Tech198 macrumors G4

1. Make a account elsewhere whichever mail system u wish to use
    2. In Yahoo mail, forward all incoming messages to this new email service.

That will be ok for only new incoming messages, not current messages.. I think u still got to export and re-import. Either will downloaded, then use the import of the other service.

Technically, u'r still downloading it all anyway. Whichever way its done.

9. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Except moving it to a local storage folder completely removes it from IMAP sync, so any issues upstream, or from another device (accidental delete, etc.) and it's still preserved - and it solves the _exact_ concern of theirs, i.e., having a local archive of all mail.