yahoo takeover!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zotty, Oct 31, 2016.

1. zotty macrumors newbie

how do i remove yahoo that has taken over as my default search provider in google chrome and restore it back to google?

2. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Chrome > Settings > Search. Change from Yahoo to Google

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

4. JohnDS macrumors 65816

In Chrome go to Windows > Extensions and see if you have an extension for a Yahoo toolbar. If you do, then delete it.

5. zotty thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, it was a long process changing the search engine was fine for one tab, as long as you didn't open another tab yahoo was still there lucking. i down loaded the malwarebytes and it found files!!! so i deleted them. eventually with more fiddling i've got chrome and google how i want them.

how do i know and check that i've removed every last bit (thats a bad pun! ) of yahoo??

this started when i downloaded VUZE , which wasn't what i really needed :((
    the vuze programmer needs a good shake.....

6. KALLT macrumors 601

Malwarebytes should have taken care of the important parts. You can also have a look with EtreCheck and post the report here.

Torrent clients are a source of trouble, unfortunately. Vuze and uTorrent should be avoided. I used to unconditionally recommend Transmission, but they were negligent as well when they were infected with ransomware, although they should now have their house in order, hopefully.