Yahoo vents frustration over App Store process

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FearNo1, Aug 19, 2009.

1. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

I smell a future lawsuit regarding apple's ultra control of the app store.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-10313434-265.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

2. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Mmmmm Bacon.

3. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

This kind of stuff really pisses me off.
    Greedy *******s at Apple.

4. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

How exactly does it make them greedy?

That they don't have enough people working on approving apps?

5. kicko macrumors 65816

I think if you got approved once you should not have to go through the ringer again, but if you have something that needs to be changed it can be yanked until its been amended. Either that or have some developers be "certified" as a trusted app. developer.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

If they were greedy (I'm not saying that they aren't- Apple is a corporation after all), wouldn't they approve everything right away without proper filtering so that more Apps could be sold, thereby increasing the amount of money they make?

I don't think that this qualifies as an example of greedy. I think it's more of an understaffing issue.

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This is interesting, especially with Apple=Google relations thinning out.. now Yahoo isn't impressed...

maybe Apple can create their own search engine/stock app/weather/maps.. etc..

8. cupofjoe macrumors regular

That's all I noticed too. :p

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

10. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Exactly. Perhaps big-name developers like Yahoo! and Facebook should be "certified" and get some sort of auto-approval? It took Apple about a week or some to approve an only-bug fixes update for BeejiveIM...

http://twitter.com/BeejiveIM/status/3290243030
    http://twitter.com/BeejiveIM/status/3371579382

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

12. TheMBC macrumors 6502

But... that's the American way. :rolleyes:

Well then, all developers in good standing should be "certified."

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think some kind of hand holding would be nice, particularly to continue to encourage major developers like EA, Square, etc, to be on the iPhone. I don't know about auto approval... Yahoo in any event should be encouraged ... as much as I hate YM for its infamous IM spam, the fact that they're paying attention to Apple's ecosystem again is promising.

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

hah, ya. Honestly, Apple is a real "damned if they do, damned if they don't" position with this stuff.

They guard too closely, everyone bitches - they let stuff slide, everyone bitches.

15. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

hahaha...

I never LOLd so hard in my life...

Tell them to try and submit an app to the new Microsoft WinMo app store...

Their portal doesn't work, they are changing requirements post submittal and expecting submittal's prior to the change to comply, and when they don't you have to pay again once out of your 5 "grace" submittals.

There have been 8 changes to the requirements doc so far this month.

You also have to submit for each language/country combination separately.

They don't even take a single graphic and auto resize it for where they will be used on websites, phones etc... you have to submit 9 different icons.

The apple submission and approval process is a well oiled machine and a cake walk compared to MS.

P.S. I have been/am still a Microsoft Developer/Engineer for 18+ years... so don't lay any fanboi comments on me.

And yes, I've submitted apps to both MS and Apple.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, interesting insights on the MS process, thanks. (I have not been following their app store development). This particular thing has been a long-term nuisance with Windows Mobile. Back when WM5 came out, maybe four or five years ago, and VGA-class devices started appearing, it was a major nuisance in that hardly any apps available for WM handled VGA in a good way -- it was one or another of a variety of awful treatments, rendering the screen large eye candy -- the only things it did well at 640x480 were show photographs and PDFs and smooth fonts. :rolleyes:

I think MS is really going to have a tough time with how different all their WM products are, one from the next.

17. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

if the reason behind these lengthy processes is manpower well maybe they need to reorganize and hire some extra people, after all this country needs jobs and Apple lights cigars with $50s im sure they could pay someone a decent sum and teach them the ropes.

18. Surely Guest

Surely

That's about right.

And it seems to be an ongoing theme for all Apple products and services.

19. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Here you go, have a read. I'm actually surpised no press has picked up on this yet to be honest:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/mktplace/thread/9a9695bc-fa72-429c-b780-d7068116589f

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/mktplace/threads

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Personally, I'm glad Apple is taking their time evaluating apps. Some of them are unstable enough as it is, and the big name developers not the least.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is there any evidence, though, that holding apps for longer reviews prevents unstable code from being provided to consumers?

22. SAG3194 macrumors 6502

SAG3194

Ha. 2 weeks? One of my apps hve been in review for 5+ Months and in te end got rejected.

I didn't get frustrated until it got rejected. I'm sure a big company like Yahoo can wait until they have reached my wait time of 5+ Months and when it gets rejected because "Its Illegal" when it's not then they can make an article about it.

23. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

LOL..

Did anyone click on the link in the CNET article recently? Actual Blog Link

It appears at 4:47PM, she updated her blog:
    Open Mouth, Insert Bacon.

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

We did, but not after the update... it's a pretty funny foot-in-mouth. Wonder if she'll continue to be employed. ;)

25. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Yea, I should have asked "recently."