Yanks think they have it bad...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MisterEMann, Apr 13, 2010.

1. MisterEMann macrumors newbie

MisterEMann

I'm equally as frustrated with the MBP updates as the rest of you, firmly pushing them out of my budget range. I want to point one tiny thing out to those complaining about the price hike. 13" MBPs start from £999 , which is, according to current exchange rates, $1542. IMO, this $350 tax is ridiculous.

Credit card FIRMLY back in wallet :mad:

2. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

You're blaming your country's economy on Apple ? Seriously, how far will this go ?!

3. Quetsche macrumors member

I don't think Apple's pricing policy has anything to do with the european economy…

4. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

A double cheese burger in USA costs ~ $3.
    A double cheese burger in Germany costs ~ EUR. 3
    A double cheese burger in UK costs ~ GBP. 3

This is how world economy works. I don't understand how this is Apple's fault.

5. will0407 macrumors 6502a

A double cheeseburger is £1.29 from mcdonalds which is about $2.... we can't have it all I suppose!

6. kolax macrumors G3

There's tax etc that Apple has to pay for doing business in the UK. Importation etc etc.

It is still a bit excessive, but it isn't as simple as comparing an exchange rate.

7. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

You could just move to the US and enjoy all that it has to offer...lol

8. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

I'm not talking about conversion rates, ie. how much 1.00 GBP is in terms of USD. I'm talking about the prices at which companies sell their products locally in their corresponding countries.

In Europe prices have always been crappy like this, its not new. Check out this info-graphic of how local prices vary around the world depending on economy and taxes. In Germany we have a value added tax of nearly 20% that shoots the price up. All I'm saying is that Apple has nothing to do with it.

[​IMG]

9. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I think he's more upset that with the current conversion he's having to pay even more than we are here in the states. I feel for ya man!

10. chkenwing macrumors regular

I totally wish I was in Hong Kong right now. :(

Conversion rates at the moment puts the entry level 13" MBP at £721! :eek:

With student discount it's £695!

That's the price of a MacBook in the UK, and the MacBook itself in Hong Kong is only like £586!

11. will0407 macrumors 6502a

Very interesting graphic Gorilla, certainly makes me think twice about complaining!