Yasu, is it safe to use ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacmancUK, Jun 4, 2011.

1. MacmancUK macrumors member

Yasu, being promoted as...

System maintenance app performs many tasks.

Has anyone tried it yet ?

I've found some of these maint apps mess up my iMac.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need maintenance or cleaning apps on Mac OS X. It takes care of itself quite well, without the need for user-installed apps or intervention. Some of these apps can do more harm than good. My best recommendation is to leave them alone. What, specifically, are you trying to accomplish?

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea it works great. Been using it for years on a few of my macs, never had a problem.
    All it does is clear various cache files and runs all the semi-secret maintenance scripts. Nothing much to it really.

4. spyrmac macrumors member

crontab runs at night if mac is on or in sleep mode if i am correct .

i never leave it on/sleep at night

so should i use YASU ? could i ?
    is it safe to clear system logs/cache ?

has anyone else tried it ? i mean when you hear the word '' system '' you re reluctant .

i ve got 10.8.3

5. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

I'm 100% with GGJstudios on this one. Pretty much all this kind of stuff is handled by the OS anyway, or with tools provided by Apple for free. There's rarely any need for third party stuff like this.

The main question I'd suggest you ask yourself is, "What problem am I trying to solve?". If there isn't a problem then resist the urge to tinker. If there *is* a problem then maybe come back and ask about that specifically - odds are someone's encountered it before and will have suggestions for you.

Good luck

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's useless and counterproductive to regularly clear caches and logs. Doing so will not improve performance, and can actually impede performance. Caches exist to improve performance, so clearing them removes that advantage.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.
    These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.
    Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance. OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

7. spyrmac macrumors member

so ... what is the cron script and what time of day does it run ...

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html
    By default, the daily script is scheduled to run daily at 03:15 hours local time.
    By default, the weekly script is scheduled to run every Saturday at a specific time. Under Tiger and later, it runs at 03:15 hours local time
    By default, the monthly script is scheduled to run on the first of the month at 05:30 hours local time.

so what if my mac is not on at 03:15 or 05:30 ?

(which is not ... like ... never )

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your Mac is in sleep mode at the scheduled time, the scripts will run the next time your Mac is awake. If your Mac is shut down at the scheduled time, the scripts won't run until the next scheduled time. If your Mac is always shut down at those times, the scripts will never run, unless you manually run them or change the default schedule. You can manually run the scripts using the Maintidgit widget.