Yay for honest people

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigress666, Oct 17, 2010.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Holy crap... I almost had to buy a new iphone (I was careless).

Apparently I left my iphone sitting at a booth at a hamburger joint I went to today.

Luckily, the person who found it is of the same opinion as me, finders are not keepers, and either handed it to the employees to put in the lost and found (or put in the lost in found if an employee).

But I didn't even realize I didn't have my phone until I was on my roommate's Grumman Tiger (small general aviation plane). Sadly, he left his phone at home as well (he had an iphone and it had mobileme's find my iphone since I have mobileme I could use his to find mine) so we couldn't even look for our phones til we got home (he left his here). Didn't see it, used locate my phone, was slightly relieved the address looked like where the burger joint was (rather than some address I hadn't been which would mean some one had picked it up), called them, and they had it in their safe.

I think I used up all my karma points so I can't do that again (lucky I did it once and I still have my phone). Time to rebuild my karma.

2. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

You can start by going to that place twice a week for burgers. You re one lucky SOB.... send some of that luck this way.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Wow, I'm surprised the phone could get both a GPS and a cell signal from within the safe! I would've figured that most safes would basically end up being Faraday cages. Good thing you got it back though.

One thing I learned from my last MobileMe experience: the "send an alert" option where you can have the iPhone emit a sound could be as much a curse as it is a blessing. When I lost my 3GS I was able to locate it in the very parking lot I thought I had lost it. When I got back there and had it emit a signal, however, the sound caught someone else's attention, and they ended up taking it home themselves, despite the reward I was offering in the message. I later managed to to track my iPhone one final time at their address before they ultimately wiped it to use for themselves. :(

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

5. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Oh, I didn't actually send it any message, just used the GPS part to see where I might have left it (if it was stolen I didn't want the thief to know I had some way of tracking it so he could try to get info off of it before I wiped it). I'd only use the noise part if I knew that hte phone was somewhere in my room (or car). Still was good to have the GPS to be able to quickly tell that no, I didn't just leave it in the house somewhere.

Oh, and she said it would either be in the safe or their office when I called and asked if they had found a phone (she was like, lemme go ask as it would be in the safe or office if we found a phone). So it could have not been in the safe technically (just shorter to write in the safe ;) ).

But yeah... I'm feeling very lucky (and very flakey today, I had also left my keys at the counter but they found that and brought it to me though honestly when I went to go drive home I would have instantly noticed I had no keys ;). Apparently my head's just not on right today. Worse thing is when I discovered I couldn't find it I thought of the restaurant but part of me was sure I remember slipping it in my purse. I still remember slipping it in my purse. I should have known that is a warning sign, usually that's the kind of thing I don't remember if I did whether I did it or not cause it's usually automatic that I do it). And I better not be testing my luck soon again.

6. alectheking macrumors 6502a

7. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

The newest one.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

To heck with the phone...

Your roommate has a Tiger?!

Sigh. I always wanted one of those.

PS. Kidding about the phone. Of course, I'd expect the type of people who hang out at a place you fly to for a "$100 hamburger" to be pretty honest, if ya know what I mean :)

9. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Actually, we didn't fly there, that place is local to us (we flew afterwards). And yeah, I'm lucky my roommate has a Tiger and loves having some one who likes flying with him (He just got it this summer so he's really excited to be taking it around places). Specially since I work a lowly retail job so i can't even afford the lessons, heh. It's a great little plane (fits my husky mix dog too :) ).

We discovered we didn't have our phones with us when he wanted to take a picture and he realized he left the phone at home. I went to get mine out so we could just use it and then I discovered it wasn't in my purse. *sigh* There were a lot of good photo opportunities too (Washington has some really nice landscapes. We flew over the Cascades into Central Washington).

10. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

That's pretty amazing OP. I wish more people were like that. The world would truly be a better place. Personally, I hate stealing, and people who steal. I feel like if you find and keep something that could easily be returned to its rightful owner, you're stealing. You never know how hard people have to work for what they have.