Yay for safari adblock

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by stoconnell, May 3, 2009.

1. stoconnell macrumors 6502

I have noticed from time to time Safari would go nuts and suck up 80-90% of the CPU and send the temps up and crank up the fan. I would then have to go on a witch hunt through the numerous tabs I had open and try and find the ad banner that's going nuts and close it (or just kill Safari). I started poking around and found http://burgersoftware.com/en/safariadblock to do a nice job in reducing Safari's CPU utilization.

2. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

I find not using Flash solves this problem quite nicely too. :D

3. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

4. dudup macrumors regular

dudup

Click To Flash is also a wonderful addon that does the trick. It replaces all Flash embeds with a static image, and you just have to click to load that blocked embed:

http://github.com/rentzsch/clicktoflash/tree/master

works great with Safari 4 beta.

5. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

When I try to download the software, I get an XCode project. Does anyone know how to convert this into code and get Safari to use it?

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Scroll down to
    "Download ClickToFlash 1.4fc6 here."

(or whatever version is in the future).

7. stoconnell thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool. I was hoping some other folks would chime in with alternate solutions. My brother has confirmed that the Safari Adblock worked with Safari 4.

8. WilliamG macrumors 604

9. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

Thanks for not calling me stupid... I sometimes don't pay enough attention.

10. dudup macrumors regular

dudup

Adblock might work, but it's blocking just ads, not embeds -- i.e.: video embeds you may stumble in Google Reader, or other stuff that might start autoplaying and hogging your CPU.

If the point is to block Flash, ClickToFlash is 100% guaranteed. It'll graceful block ANY Flash which you can easily activate again by clicking on its place holder. I really suggest you give it a try! :)

11. dudup macrumors regular

dudup

Don't mind, I did that same wrong click. Twice.

12. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A300g Safari/525.20)

I was planning to consider AdBlock or ClicktoFlash. ClicktoFlash sounds more promising.
    Does ClicktoFlash free up the CPU, reduce heat, and improve the performance of Safari on the MBA? I have a Rev. B.

13. dudup macrumors regular

dudup

All it does is block all kinds of Flash content, replacing it with a static image with the same size as the embed. If you click one of those images, it'll automatically switch to the original embed, without reloading the page.

Simple as that.

I have a Rev. A, which is way more sensitive to Flash than yours. I can assure you that it does help me a lot by unloading unnecessary stuff as I browse. It won't make any miracles, but I like it so much that I'm using it on my iMac at home, which never had a problem handling Flash.

I don't mind the extra click to play a Youtube video, for example.

14. stoconnell thread starter macrumors 6502

The Safari Adblocks removal of flash banner ads from the various sites I frequent has greatly reduced the load on the machine and dropped the temps and cut down on the number of times the fan kicks up above 2500 RPM. I suspect ClickToFlash would be even more effective. In my case, the Adblock achieved what I was after; however, I man play with layering them. Not sure if they are exclusive or not.