Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elixer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
I placed an order for a Black Macbook with 120 GB HD and 512MB. Also I ordered 2GB of ram from OWC, I read a bunch of positive things about them when I was searching here. I'm really excited but then the only draw back is that it will not ship to the 13th and the estimated arrival is the 20th... Oh well it gives me time to sort through and back up my mess of files that I want to transfer to my macbook.

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
im jealous. im waiting a week or 2 to see if merom pops up, so ill have mine in a month to a month and a half. waiting sucks :(

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
Grats, i hope you like it. Spend lots of time playing around with it when it first comes, make sure you have plenty of time to see everything. Its very easy and it should not take long. If you have any questions post them here but more often then not you will figer things out on your self.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Awesome...the black macbook is so sweet looking.

My two favorite notebooks are yours..and the 12in PB (mine)!

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
As a recent switcher, let me give you a couple of tips that will help you along.

1. Spotlight is your friend, learn about it

2. Ditto, double ditto with Expose'.

3. Try clicking the yellow minimize button while holding the shift key, (hours of amusement :D )

Elixer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Hehe thanks, I've been reading up on all the guides under the mac os x. So hopefully I will be a little better off.

F

freakonguitar

ah...don't worry about switching :D takes about a week or so to get used to it and then once you get into it, you're hooked :p. Runs so much better, and quicker, and I used a friends, black macbook with just 1gb of ram, its fast!
Enjoy!:D

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
dsnort said:
3. Try clicking the yellow minimize button while holding the shift key, (hours of amusement :D )

That is awesome! never knew it.

Someone needs to start a thread with cool little tricks like this...maybe I will:D

Anyone know any other cool tricks?

Elixer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
dsnort said:
I'll have to try that next time I'm in the computer lab on campus.

Just out of curiousity, about how much faster is the Macbook than my current desktop. It's a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, 512MB RAM, and a Geforce 4 ti4200, kinda old I know lol.

NextTuesday

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
Cork, Ireland
Try holding the Shift key when using Expose or Dashboard.

You've just made a new enemy Elixer, I want a BlackBook soooo bad, considering I was left in the dark, Mac-less not too long ago and am now faced with the horrible-ness of Dell-using and Windoze expee... one of these days... POW! right in the kisser.. I mean... I too will have a BlackBook.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
thats quite an awesome sertup you'll be having there, i wish i had 2 GB of ram :rolleyes: maybe when my wallet has rebounded a bit.

klb028

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
what does the shift button + yellow button do? congrats on the new black Macbook, friend! those guides sure are helpful, I've bookmarked a ton!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
katielb said:
what does the shift button + yellow button do? congrats on the new black Macbook, friend! those guides sure are helpful, I've bookmarked a ton!

Holding down Shift slows down any eye-candy.

Play a video in Quicktime, hold down Shift and minimise the window. The window distorts down slowly into the dock and you can watch the video playing the whole time.

nitynate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2006
Clearwater, FL
Elixer said:
I'll have to try that next time I'm in the computer lab on campus.

Just out of curiousity, about how much faster is the Macbook than my current desktop. It's a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, 512MB RAM, and a Geforce 4 ti4200, kinda old I know lol.
Like a kajillion times faster.

Not even kidding, man.

It's amazing.

Elixer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
NextTuesday said:
Try holding the Shift key when using Expose or Dashboard.

You've just made a new enemy Elixer, I want a BlackBook soooo bad, considering I was left in the dark, Mac-less not too long ago and am now faced with the horrible-ness of Dell-using and Windoze expee... one of these days... POW! right in the kisser.. I mean... I too will have a BlackBook.
Uh oh, I've now gained unwanted attention. Lol at "pow! right in the kisser".
http://peterpowrightinthekisser.ytmnd.com/
nitynate said:
Like a kajillion times faster.

Not even kidding, man.

It's amazing.
Haha, thats good news then.

dukebound85 said:
control + option + apple button + 8

Inverts your screen to a negative which is pretty cool
That sounds pretty sweet.

x704

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
Markleshark said:
lol @ ctrl, option, apple key and 8... we deffo need a little tricks thread...

Wow, that is cool. I second that ^^
for the most part if you hold down <shift> and do any normal window related thing (maxamize, F11, F9) then it will slowmo it.

But yeah I second a tricks thread.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
i actually found out the shift thing on my own (accidentally) it's really incredible

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.