Yay! It's A Snow Day!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iDAG, Feb 12, 2008.

1. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Well, today is my first snow day of the school year which I was really hoping for. I live in Ohio and living in the same county as the capital, its hard to get a snow day. So I thought to myself, does anyone hear on Mac Rumors have any good snow day stories? My day today is going to be filled with talking on the phone to my girlfriend, running on a treadmill, and doing homework I should had done last night. :cool: So, lets hear those stories everyone! Hopefully, they're more interesting than mine. :)

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

I lived in Cincinnati, apparently my high school had a snow day today.

Now I live in upstate New York, and I regularly trudge through more snow to get to class than we got in a year in Ohio. Funny how things work...

EDIT: Holy crap, I just noticed I've been a member for 6 years...O_O

3. iDAG thread starter macrumors 65816

iDAG

Yeah, todays storm was weird because it went from south to north and not the other way around. BTW congrats for being here for 6 years! :)

4. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Lucky! We're not getting snow up here in RI until later tonight. Though we did get a snow day a couple weeks ago so I guess I can't really complain.

Enjoy.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It had better stick this time, unlike that freaky **** we had over the weekend. Thankfully, living in the same county as the capital doesn't mean squat in RI. :)

6. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Yeah that was weird. Though I would prefer if the temperature got above freezing sometime soon. :D

7. iDAG thread starter macrumors 65816

iDAG

I just heard where I am that the winter storm warning we have has been extended to 1am so hopefully that means I can get another day off tomorrow. :) Ii just need it to snow some more now. Nothing is flying right now but I looked at the radar and more is on the way. :D

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

been more snow this year than i can remember in a long time. at least here in chicago. not surprised to see that more people are having snow days than in the past couple of years at least.

9. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I have a snowday too Evansville, IN (southwestern edge of Indiana). Its kind of strange. My school doesn't have to follow the rest of the school district's rules because of some law allowing public charter schools not to. So they also choose not to follow weather closings either. This is the first one in 6 years. The rest of the schools all have had 2-3 days a year for each of those.

10. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

A snow day down here in KY as well. It started coming down hard last night around 6 and they cancelled school that night around 10.

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I am hoping for a snow day tomorrow in NH (I am a teacher though!) I have a back injury and I don't want to burn another sick day to rest my back, but I could use one more day off of teaching second graders!! Uggg, my back!:eek:

I just noticed I am at my five year mark!!!

12. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

My most memorable snow day involved spending all day building an igloo with a couple of friends. It was quite the sight when we were all done with it.

Enjoy the snow days while you can, kids. I never once got a snow day in college, despite a few memorable snowfalls.

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I went to college where snow days were unheard of. Not for lack of snow though. Michigan Technological University sits in the upper peninsula of Michigan and gets at least 200 inches of snow a year. They have the equipment they need to move it in a hurry so it's almost unheard of for a blizzard to shut the campus down.

Back in 1996 there was a blizzard that managed to call classes about halfway through the day. As I remember it (it's been a few years and memories do get embellished from time to time) we got 37+ inches of snow within a 24 hour period. What made the snow day most memorable was that someone picked that day to try to rob the bank downtown. It's a small downtown to the bank was within blocks of the police station. To add to the blunders made, the getaway car had a flat tire and the thief took the police chief's wife (who worked at the bank) as a hostage. The day did not end well for the thief, IIRC a sniper ended the standoff.

He could have gotten away with it if he had just used a snowmobile instead of a getaway car, since at the rate the snow was falling his tracks would have vanished almost as fast as he left them.

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If it's too cold, you're too old!

15. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Damn, y'all are lucky. Here in NC it's a humid 50 degrees, and overcast. Ah well, at least I have an iPod touch to complain on during activity period!

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i would love a humid 50s. and i hate humidity.

been in the high teens for our highs lately, before windchill. so pretty close to feeling like its 0 out most days. sunday wind chill was -25º

17. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Congratulations! My classes were canceled for today already so I guess I got lucky too!

18. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    It's shirt-sleeve, shorts and t-shirt weather here by me today. :)

19. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Damn snow\ice\white frozen crap that cant make up its mind. I just fell and had an obscene amount of blood running down my leg. it staring to stop bleeding now though.

20. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Heh. I'm at the complete other end of the state. Not so much as a delay. Usually these things go the other way around(y'all get squat and we're snowed in).

But its snowing as we speak(type?:confused:) so maybe I'll get lucky tomorrow.

But we have missed a crapload of school this year already. We were supposed to get out the Tuesday after Memorial Day(how's that for faulty scheduling?), now I think we're to the next Wednesday or something like that.

21. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Sleet day for me. 1/2" of sleet all over, hard to walk on.

It sucks.™ :(

22. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

It's 67 and sunny for me :p

Granted that would be nicer if I could be outside instead of in a windowless building.

23. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I got a snow day today. :D We got about 4-5" of snow here, with some freezing rain to top it off. I'll probably get the day off tomorrow, too.

24. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

25. iDAG thread starter macrumors 65816

iDAG

Wow, it's hard to believe you got that much snow in Macintosh HD! :cool: