Yay!!! Just sharing my joy with ipod touch folks here.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cheskiz, Mar 1, 2008.

1. cheskiz macrumors member

I finally got my ipod touch and its really cool. Really felt so excited and wish to share my joy.

Btw, pple, may i know the benfits if i manage to hack the ipod touch software? What are the cons if i failed to hack it, will i cause any damages?

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Glad to see you are completely thrilled with your purchase of iPod touch!

On the 'hacking' note, in my opinion, it's not worth the hassle. Apple are about to announce an SDK (Software Development/Developers Kit). This will allow select developers to design and create applications for both the iPod touch and iPhone which will be approved by Apple. Currently, talking from experience as I hacked my iPod on software version v1.1.2, jail-breaking (hacking) your device doesn't offer anything more, in features or functions, worth talking about, than if you leave it as it is. Instead, I would suggest if it didn't already come with the January Software Upgrade, to drop the $20 (£12.66) for it, as the functionality it offers, aside from the 5 new applications (Mail, Stocks, Weather, Notes, Maps) like the ability to move icons around your home screen, add web clips to your home screen, lyrics and chapter support for movies, and more, I think it's truly awesome. So I definitely recommend that.

Then after that, I suggest you wait until Apple releases this SDK, and applications start to appear on the iTunes Music Store for purchase. The iPod touch and iPhone are not products as such, but Apple have stated it see's both of them, specifically the iPod touch as 'the first mainstream wifi platform', just waiting to be expanded.

The con's of jail-breaking, as suppose to staying 'Apple', is it's not condoned by Apple officially, and therefore, each time a new update comes out through iTunes (possibly offering new functionality from the previous version) ... when you install it .. you have to jailbreak ... again and again. Also there have been reports, jailbreaking renders the youtube application an safari application unstable, and un-usable.

At the end of the day, it's your choice what you do with your device.

Hope this was helpful.

R-Fly

3. cheskiz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the valuable advice and i decided not to hack it since it does not give much benefit.

For the SDK update, i can do it myself right?

4. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

The SDK will be released to developers. It will contain instructions, software and examples, all related to software development of the touch platform. This is not for normal folk like us. The SDK will allow developers to create applications, which will eventually turn up on iTunes for purchase by us non-developers.

One thing is for sure - the future of iPod touch and iPhone is looking bright. It could even be on the brink of becoming the first main-stream mobile wifi computing platform, and the thought of that, excites me, greatly.

Imagine, wireless printer drivers, document storage from downloads through safari, application switching, and more.

The SDK is the key to the future of this emerging platform. So even though initially the SDK is no use to us non-developers, the fruits (phenomenal applications and features) of it, are going to be awesome for us.

In a recent Q&A with Apple, they said 'with the SDK, only the people's imagine will be the limit of software development on the iPhone and iPod touch'.

R-Fly

5. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

But.... if you want games, open SSH, and the ablity to coustimize the home screen (with themes), beond the jan. update, Jailbrake it.

Its soooo worth it.

6. cheskiz thread starter macrumors member

Hi, ya, so only hacked ipod touch can have games and changing the themes of the screen? Do i have to jailbreak inorder to have the ibeer thing.

7. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

yes. thats the answer unless its the jan. update. its the only way to get non web based apps on the touch