YAY Me! Got an iPhone and have ONE question. (For now anyway!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NJFP, Aug 23, 2011.

1. NJFP macrumors 6502

Leaving Blackberry Bold for an iPhone. Loving it so far. One biggie though, when I want to make a call with the BB, all I had to do was start typing a contact's name on the keyboard, and it would come up. I haven't figured out a way to do this on the iPhone yet. Is there a way and how do I do it? I don't know most of my contacts numbers, just the keyboard short cut.

2. nmork macrumors regular

You can swipe left and go to the spotlight search, type their name there. Then just open up their contact and go :)

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

This is the fastest way other than voice control. To access voice control, hold down the home button till you hear the double-beep and the screen change and then say "Call"+thenameoftheperson. More often than not it gets the name right. :)

4. NJFP thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you both for the quick reply's. This way, doing the spotlight search will most likely be the fastest for me. In my job, voice dialing may be problematic. THANK YOU!!

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

Congratulations on your new phone - I, too, moved from a BB (pathetic device) and have been very happy since then. Check out the forums and macrumors guides for tips and tricks for the iPhone as well as some great apps.

6. icewing macrumors 6502

Also, if you go into Contacts, tap the bar with the time at the top of the screen, this will position to the top of the list and show a Search dialog. You can now start typing and the contacts show will dwindle with each character you type.

Also in Contacts, use the list of capital letters on the right to quickly scroll.

Welcome to the family!

7. aluren macrumors 65816

You sure you don't want to wait another month for the iPhone 5?

8. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Another little shortcut to get to the search feature- if you press the one button to take you back to the icons, pressing it again will take you to the left-most set of screens. Then it's only one left swipe to get to the search

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

And if you're already on the first home page, pressing the home button will take you into spotlight.