Yay, new macbook battery question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tigress666, Jun 4, 2010.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, I know that people ask about how to treat their new battery when they get their new macbook pro.

I have an odd question that I don't think anyone has answered. Is it ok to use my macbook pro while I charge up the battery for the first time (and I should charge it up all the way when I take it out and then use the battery up all the way after, right?).

Anyways, got my new pro here and waiting on an answer before I use it (I want to make sure I set up the battery right. This is my first *brand* new macbook. The one I'm typign on now I got a good deal cause it was a month old and a new model at the time and the seller apparently fixed her old computer so decided to sell her new one).

2. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

4. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

the more you use your battery the longer it seems to last in macs

5. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

My old macbook's battery has 93-100% life (coconut battery nor istat can make up their mind, they both echo each other) and I mostly kept it plugged in constantly.

The battery maybe got used once a week (or less sometimes). And I think I only ever calibrated it when I first got it (was not brand new but was only a month old). I honestly just want to give this battery a good start anyways.

Of course, I guess one could argue then maybe my computer doesn't really know how much life it has left. But I do know that the battery life hasn't seemed to gotten all that much worse (it tends to last about a movie and a half on a cross country plane or when rping with friends for a few hours with wifi on though that will wipe the battery out entirely, or not wipe the battery out so bad and turn wifi on and off depending on if I need it). Right now it's been on for two hours with wifi on and it has a little less than half life left in the battery (it has gone to sleep a few times). It's on battery now cause my new macbook is using the plug to charge up (it's transferring my files from my time machine HD which is why I'm on my old one).

Dang, I wish I had the money to keep this one too (I'm suck a packrat). Be nice to have this one for stuff like watching internet video (plus this one has a better setup for it, I don't need a ton of different connections to get to the tv, just one converter). Plus I have to admit I'm being geeky and thinking it is kinda cool to have two mac notebooks right now (like I have enough old computers, a G4 desktop, a PC that's been gutted at least once and redone, and an old Mac Performa that I probably should throw away that doesn't even work).