Yay or Nay: Mac Box Set

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jpk32092, Jan 25, 2009.

  1. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 22, 2008
    Location:
    Boston
    #1
    I'm still running tiger on my mid '07 macbook.. I was thinking about getting leopard, and once the box set was announced i figured i would get the box set so i would get both ilife and iwork for not too much extra. but now i'm starting to reconsider since snow leopard will be coming out in julyish (hopefully)

    thoughts?
     
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #2
    To wait for a new OS not due out for 6 months seems silly. Leopard is pretty nice.
    I dislike keynote and prefer office 2004 (over 2008) so iWork is not what I want. I would say if you like all the apps then the box set is worth it. Even if snow leopard is on the way.
     
  3. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

    Davy.Shalom

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2008
    #3
    I agree with Jessica. Anyway, the box set seems like a good deal.
     
  4. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    #4
    I'd say "yay": buy it now.

    I'm also waiting for a Snow Leopard box set. But since I'm already running Leopard, it's only iLife'09 and iWork'09 I need now.

    As for the OS upgrade, I don't consider myself an "early adopter". So even when Snow Leopard is released on July and they put out a Box Set, I wouldn't upgrade the OS before the 2nd or 3rd updates come out and most bugs and problems are found & fixed. Therefore, I'd wait at least 6-8 months after Snow Leopard's initial release before I even consider putting the DVD into my mac.

    So... in your case still running Tiger- and if you're not an early adopter either - that'll mean upgrading until (at least) March-June 2010, when Snow Leopard is reported stable... and that's a long time without enjoying Leopard's benefits.

    cheers!
     
  5. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2008
    #5
    I'm thinking about purchasing the Family pack box set because I have 2 macs, both with iLife 08, and neither with any version of iWork. One has Leopard (got for free on a warranty replacement), and the other has Tiger. For about what it would cost to get iLife 09 family and iWork 09 family, I can also get that computer upgraded to Leopard.
     
  6. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

    petermcphee

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2008
    #6
    Lots of good points have been made here. I will try and take the other perspective.

    Early adopter here. I will be getting Snow Leopard very soon after its release. This would be the question I guess I would ask yourself: What if Snow Leopard has a feature/performance value that you really want? Will you be ok with that? If so, then by all means get Leopard now. If this would bother you (like it would bother me:)) then wait for Snow Leopard.
     
  7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

    EricNau

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2005
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #7
    What would you be buying if you bought each individually?

    Here are a few scenarios:
    • If you're interested in both iLife and iWork, the box set is a great deal.
    • If you're only interested in the OS, you might as well wait until Snow Leopard.
    • If you're only interested in iLife, it essentially costs you $170, for which you receive a few extras (which you may or may not utilize).
    • If you're only interested in iWork, you don't need Leopard and can save $90 buy purchasing individually.
    • You may not wish to upgrade to snow leopard, in which case the box set is a great deal to update all your software simultaneously.
     

Share This Page