Yay!! Reciveced my Financial Aide Refund check!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by canuhandlethis8, Sep 20, 2009.

1. canuhandlethis8 macrumors member

I got waaaaaaaay more back then i originally thought!! and I was thinking of buying an iPhone. I am confused to what I've heard about buying just an iPhone outright without a contract. Is it worth trying to find one on craigslist or eBay versus buying directly from apple?? Also since I'm not using it on a cellular network, does it matter if I were to get a 3G or 3GS? I plan on jailbreaking it, and I know there are certian apps that enable video on a 3G etc...is it true that the 3GS is harder and in some cases not jailbreakable?

Thanks guys!

2. Surely Guest

Surely

And this is why there should be restrictions on how Financial Aid is spent.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yup. for schools only imo

if not using on cell network, why not just get a touch?

4. canuhandlethis8 thread starter macrumors member

Cause I love the fact that you can take a picture and upload it to facebook and other IM services in real-time. If the touch had the camera like we all thought...I'd be all about it...

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

You realize that you'd need a network connection to upload it in "real-time"?

That requires cell service...

6. canuhandlethis8 thread starter macrumors member

Not if I'm on a Wi-Fi network connection ;)

7. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Why don't you spend your financial aid on things that we, taxpayers, gave it to you for in the first place? Food? Books? School Supplies? Maybe a summer class?

8. canuhandlethis8 thread starter macrumors member

because I've already signed up for my classes, food, books and supplies...and plus an iPhone will double up as a PDA for me so :p

9. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

So...use the rest to pay off school loans?

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

There's something called saving that you can do for next semester so you don't require as much financial aid.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

really guys, its none of our buisness what he does with the money. he will do as he pleases and will be paying for his schooling one way or the other

many of my friends in college lived the life of playboy millionaire off student loans lol

not reccomended by the way op!

would you care any different if he was getting a computer?

12. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^^ Very true. He can spend it any way he chooses.

And that is why this should be repeated:

13. canuhandlethis8 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah and for your information to all you folks who want to criticize, the money is from GRANTS and MERITS I have worked hard for and earned, therefore I deserve it and will spend it any which way I shall choose!:D:D:D

14. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

GRANTS! So free money that my parents are giving you to help provide you with an education?

15. Surely Guest

Surely

Then you should have specifically stated where the money is from.

Calling it 'financial aid' causes people to think that you are squandering money that should be earmarked for school-related costs. It would be similar to someone coming here and stating that they are thinking of spending their unemployment or welfare payment on an unnecessary luxury good.

16. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Better than booze. :p

17. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

To be fair, a financial aid package can have loans, Pell grants, and scholarships. It's all bundled together.

I can't really condemn spending financial aid on things like this. Hey, I bought a car with financial aid money, so what do I know? :) Sadly, since most of my financial aid was loans that semester, I'm still paying for that car.

18. canuhandlethis8 thread starter macrumors member

take a chill pill Surely, I'm not hurting you:D

19. Surely Guest

Surely

A mature response. I totally thought that you were hurting me. Thanks for clearing that up. :rolleyes:

If you were to actually read what I wrote in my last couple of posts, you would find that :
    • I'm actually defending your right to spend that money however you choose, and
    • I'm trying to explain to you why people responded the way they did to you.

As I said, there probably should be restrictions on how financial aid should be spent. But there aren't. I'm not going to start a letter writing campaign or anything.
    I think steve2112's car story provides more proof that there should be restrictions.

20. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Really? How is a car not pertinent to education? Not everybody can (or does) live on campus. Just saying, it seems more likely to be useful and relevant than an iPhone...

As for the OP, if you are getting merit based financial aid, good for you, well done, enjoy. But if you are receiving need based funds (need-based grants, student loans, etc.) then I'd say its about time you took a good hard look at why you qualified for need based aid and use it for those needs. (and an iPhone will never be a need ;) )

21. Surely Guest

Surely

I agree with you about a car. Sometimes you just live too far from campus to walk, bike or take the bus. If I didn't have a car in undergrad, it would have taken me forever to get to and from campus.

steve2112 just seems regretful that he decided to buy it because he's still paying it off. That's what I was referring to.

22. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

True, but honestly, the interest rate on a student loan is probably much lower than what a student could get on a car loan (assuming no cosigner). So cheer up steve!

23. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Believe me, it's not like I bought a brand new Lexus or something. I bought an old Oldsmobile Cutlass. I totaled my truck when I hit a suicidal deer during the spring. After bumming rides to work and class most of the summer, I got my financial aid during the fall semester. I used money I had saved during the summer plus some money from the loan to buy the car. I know my roommates were getting tired of carrying me all over the place. I did live off campus in a pedistrian un-friendly town.

Yeah, I do kind of regret it, but I really didn't have too much of a choice. I needed a car for the upcoming semester, and the money was available.

24. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

He can do whatever he wants with the money for all I care.

One of my college roommates was a recently released prisoner and had school paid for completely, as well as all expenses, and money to burn on things like a PS3, iPhone, Flat Screen. The kid was in jail for a year and they handed him the keys to the kingdom. Dudes probably back in jail now, words couldn't describe him.