Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omega30one

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
i got tiger recently and it is beautiful. however, whenever someone tries to initiate a chat (text) or continue one after i have closed their window, ichat mysteriously crashes. this wouldnt be too bad except i have no idea who just tried to talk to me. i upgraded from the latest 10.3.9 and didnt have the problem before. reinstalls of ichat have not worked, deleting prefs have not worked. the only thing that does is creating a new account and trying ichat there, which works fine. if anyone has suggestions, please help. thanks,

-omega30one

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think you're on track with deleting prefs files, but you may not be deleting the right ones... Have you tried deleting the ichat session agent's plist file? This has been problematic for a lot of people with Tiger for some reason.

omega30one

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
hmm

on a side note, windows media play wont launch. i have tried similar courses of action

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Does WMP work in the other account (the one that iChat works in)? It may be worthwhile just transferring your preferences across to this new account and going from there. :)

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
If you're having problems with multiple applications.... did you upgrade install or archive install? I'd suggest at least archiving and installing - if not doing a totally fresh install. I've NEVER had a totally successful OS upgrade...

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
My iChat hiccups aren't nearly as severe as those you are reporing... but discovered that iChatAgent does not respond. So open Activity Monitor and Force Quit it - then try and reopen or re connect in iChat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.