Yay!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Codeseven, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Weird reason to celebrate but, I’ve been looking for a letigimate reason to update from my ol’ 16Gb Air 1 Refirb to an iPad Pro and I think that day is here. The Lightning port has worn to the point that it sometimes won’t allow charging and is getting worse by the day. That alone will mean eventually I’ll have a dead iPad. In addition, and maybe this is an issue with updating an Air 1 to iOS 11 though it didn’t start to occur till long afterward, the screen freezes and becomes non-functional, unresponsive to to touch commands. I’ve backed up to iTunes in anticipation.

Anyhoo, I’ve been interested in an 12.9” Pro since my eyes are older and the extra real estate would be most welcome. The 10.5” Pro looks great but I view it’s smaller size more for portable use whereas my use case is for average typical home usage. I don’t currently use my Air for anything heavy duty, no photo editing, programming or moving about of massive file or anything like that. Though I would like to use it for music creation and recording.

I suspect the the new line of Pro’s won’t be out till Spring 2018 at the earliest, probably more like Fall but my iPad will be probably dead soon anyway. Regardless, I’ll be get the newest generation of Pro just so I won’t be too dissapointed when the new ones come out.

Question: I would imagine that since I’ve been used to 16Gb that the minimum 64Gb model will be plenty. Anyone regret getting 64Gb?

2. Leo90 macrumors 6502

I have a 64GB 10.5 iPad Pro as my main computer and I absolutely love it. I realised 64GB internal storage + 50GB iCloud is the perfect combo for me. Therefore, I would say go for it! Hope you will enjoy it! :)

3. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, forgot about the Cloud storage part.

4. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

I went with the 64 GB 10.5" iPad Pro because I just BARELY got my wife to agree to let me upgrade a year after buying my 9.7" Pro. I thought it would be a stretch, but I've been doing fine on the 64 GB and only have about half of it filled up. If cost was no issue though, I would have definitely gone up to the max storage just to be safe. My motto has always been to buy as much storage as I can afford. It's always better to have too much hard drive rather than not enough.

All that being said, I had also totally forgotten that my 9.7" iPad Pro was a 32 GB model. I was always having to manage storage on that iPad, so suddenly having double that amount has been a dream. Oddly enough, I still only use about 32 of the 64 GB available.

5. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Am envious. Still have no reason to update my Air 2 ahead of my self imposed 3 year cycle, due in 03/18.
    Enjoy...

6. nnoble macrumors 6502

Funny. Funny because the 'celebration' is more common than people admit. For example, my MacBook Pro mid 2010 was able to upgrade to macOS HIgh Sierra but I was anticipating a perfect excuse to splash out on a new machine. Still, I saved money. As for 64GB? In my opinion never! I use my iPad Pro 10.5 much more than I anticipated. Very much more. And I'm in a part of the world where Internet access is not guaranteed so I can't depend on iCloud, Dropbox et al. So I looked well ahead and I'm glad I did. I would never contemplate 64GB, downloaded music from Tidal and photographs already exceed that amount. But that's me and my situation, all I would say is future proof your next purchase.

7. Coxy macrumors member

I highly recommend going down the 10.5 Pro road, I recently got mine and love it!

However, I would also recommend checking out the lightning port on your Air. Often there is a whole load of lint and fluff stuck in there that causes exactly the sort of problems you're experiencing. You can go above and beyond this by using a cotton bud (cut down a bit) soaked in alcohol to clean the contacts on the iPad. You may well end up with a fully functioning lightning port which makes for a more valuable iPad when you sell it!

8. Diving Capers macrumors 6502

Diving Capers

I’d recommend the 10.9 256... the storage ($) upgrade isn’t as punishing as going for the 512

I bought the 12.9 and absolutely love the bigger size though.

9. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Considering the 256gb is a (somewhat reasonable) $150 more and no SD card option, and that iPads are generally kept for 3-4 years at a minimum (mine is over 6 yrs old)...I'd opt for the middle option.

Of course, YMMV.

10. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Damnit! Please don’t say I might be able to fix it :) Your right, I should at least just try to clean the contacts, which I probably have purposely avoided so far just to keep the excuse going.

All good points guys, thanks. Sure would be nice to see a 256Gb 12.9 pop up in the Refirb Store.

11. Diving Capers macrumors 6502

Diving Capers

Out of curiosity i looked at the refurbished store and there are no 2017 iPad Pro’s ... how long does it usually take before you start seeing the current model refurbished ?