Yeah, another battery question (sorry)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Aml216, May 19, 2015.

1. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    Not really a question but more an observation.
    I notice my watch battery charge goes down quicker in the first 20-25% or so, then slows down a little bit.
    For instance I'll put the watch on @6AM, and by 8:30AM (No use other than looking at the time, no complications) I am at 91%. Almost a 10% drop from 2.5hrs doing nothing.

Anyone else notice this?

2. flur macrumors 68000

3. Aml216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aml216

I've been wearing it for four days now. Haven't had the battery bottom out yet though.

4. Knightcastle macrumors regular

Knightcastle

"No use other than looking at the time"

... and constantly checking the battery, by the sounds of things.

5. Aml216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aml216

I think I know how much I actively look at my watch. I literally put the watch on at 6 and checked the battery @8:30. I am quite busy at work between that time so I don't even look at my watch. Needless to say I was NOT checking my battery life constantly.

6. Joe1602 macrumors regular

At that rate, the battery would last 28 hours. So that sounds about right to me.

7. mikezmac macrumors 6502a

mikezmac

Lithium batteries don't discharge in a intuitive fashion. The first 20% tends to seem to drop fast. 80% to 30/40% goes slower. Then it tends to seem to drop fast and then the last 10% slows a little.

In short stop staring at the %

Use the usage feature to see where your power goes, kill the background refresh items you don't need and uninstall watch apps you don't want or need and you shouldn't run out of power (unless you use it non stop. )

8. mrboba1 macrumors regular

5% an hour gets you 20 hours of battery.

I generally see 3-4% /hour when I lightly use it. You're right on track.

9. simonx314 macrumors regular

The battery gauge will be more accurate if you calibrate it by allowing the battery to fully discharge. That way the software that estimates battery percentage will have a recent data point as to the minimum battery voltage.

10. Aml216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aml216

Yeah, maybe this weekend I'll try and drop it to 0% :)

11. FuzzyLogic13 macrumors newbie

I'd like to know where this information is documented, please. A reference, if you don't mind?

12. simonx314 macrumors regular

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/battery_calibration

"A “smart” battery should be self-calibrating by taking advantage of occasional full discharges and recharges, but in real life this does not always happen....To correct the tracking error that occurs, a “smart battery” should periodically be calibrated. Calibration occurs by running the battery down in the equipment until “Low Battery” appears. This sets the discharge flag and the subsequent recharge establishes the charge flag. The distances between the flags enable state-of-charge (SoC) estimations for a time....a calibration should be done once every three months or after 40 partial cycles."

13. FuzzyLogic13 macrumors newbie

Interesting. Thank you for finding that.