Yeah but... (sell old iMac and buy new Mini?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TomT321, Sep 20, 2009.

1. TomT321 macrumors member

I am new to macs and have just bought my first one (used Imac 1.8, 17"). It is in excellent shape and has many extra programs installed and has made me a true Mac convert. I did manage to sell my old computer and got more than I thought that I could and now realize that if I took that money and could recoup close to what I paid for this unit I could pay cash for a new Mac MINI base model. I am in a quandary as this Imac has given me no indications of any problems, but it is a first generation model (5 years old) and you never know. Would appreciate any opinions.:confused:

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Do you have the spare external screen and keyboard/mouse to go with the mac mini? When you buy the mini it doesn't come with anything.

3. TomT321 thread starter macrumors member

Some of it

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse but would have to buy a new monitor, however I should have about $750 to work with and figure that if the Mac MINI comes in at approx $700, adding ram and putting Iwork into the package I would only have to come up with another $50 or so for a decent 17-19" monitor. I am just trying to see what would give me the biggest bang for my buck.

4. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

5. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I would say go for it. You will notice a bug boost in the machine. Plus if you get a new one you will get 10.6 snow leapord where as I would assume your current iMac has just tiger on it. Not only would you have the latest hardware but you'll have an intel machine which is big. Apple seems to be dropping support for power pc computers.

6. Mew2468 macrumors regular

I also recommend going for the Mac Mini. Great bang for your buck (especially since you already have a keyboard and mouse).

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

8. TomT321 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

One and All,

Had pretty much figured I would go the Mac MINI route, just needed some positive reinforcement. Guess I put the Imac on Ebay and see what happens.:)

9. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I"d just get a new iMac from Apple's refurb site. Or from a reputable seller on Ebay using some Bing cashback. Or from one of the links through AppleInsider on MacMall.

10. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009