Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
XPost Facto?

I did that about ten years ago with my 6500. It's running 9.2.1.

OS 9 Helper. Xpostfacto is for installing OS X(up through Tiger) on unsupported Macs, but there's no chance of getting any retail releases of OS X to run on a 604e. I did briefly have Rhapsody 1.2v3 installed on my 8600, and may still put it on either this or the 8600(although I really want to copy Intell and put Leopard on the 8600 with a G4 upgrade I have on the way).

The problem I kept running into was that I installed OS 9 and 9.1 using North American disks. OS 9 helper requires the 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 update be .smi files on the desktop of the target computer. I have these on disk, but couldn't locate the .smi files from where I downloaded them a long time ago. I tried to get them off Apple's site, but although I found the pages, the download links were dead.

I went trolling on the internet and found a mirror of the updaters(they were released for free), but the site was based in the UK and had the international updaters and not the North American ones. These would not install over the North American version of OS 9.

I have a retail OS 9 International install disk, so I formatted and started fresh with an OS 9 install. Unfortunately, I only have a North American 9.1 disk, so was stuck there as it wouldn't install over the international 9.0 install.

Right around that time, member MacTech68(who is in Australia) sent me a link to his personal FTP server with the North American 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 .smi files on it. Thanks to him, I was able to download those files. I then-again-installed 9.0 NA, 9.1 NA, and finally was able to use OS 9 Helper to install 9.2.1 and 9.2.2. It's actually a pretty significant improvement in performance. The OS itself doesn't see any improvement from having two processors, but the dual processors perked up Photoshop 6 really nicely.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
OS 9 Helper. Xpostfacto is for installing OS X(up through Tiger) on unsupported Macs, but there's no chance of getting any retail releases of OS X to run on a 604e. I did briefly have Rhapsody 1.2v3 installed on my 8600, and may still put it on either this or the 8600(although I really want to copy Intell and put Leopard on the 8600 with a G4 upgrade I have on the way).

The problem I kept running into was that I installed OS 9 and 9.1 using North American disks. OS 9 helper requires the 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 update be .smi files on the desktop of the target computer. I have these on disk, but couldn't locate the .smi files from where I downloaded them a long time ago. I tried to get them off Apple's site, but although I found the pages, the download links were dead.

I went trolling on the internet and found a mirror of the updaters(they were released for free), but the site was based in the UK and had the international updaters and not the North American ones. These would not install over the North American version of OS 9.

I have a retail OS 9 International install disk, so I formatted and started fresh with an OS 9 install. Unfortunately, I only have a North American 9.1 disk, so was stuck there as it wouldn't install over the international 9.0 install.

Right around that time, member MacTech68(who is in Australia) sent me a link to his personal FTP server with the North American 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 .smi files on it. Thanks to him, I was able to download those files. I then-again-installed 9.0 NA, 9.1 NA, and finally was able to use OS 9 Helper to install 9.2.1 and 9.2.2. It's actually a pretty significant improvement in performance. The OS itself doesn't see any improvement from having two processors, but the dual processors perked up Photoshop 6 really nicely.
OS9 Helper, that's the one. Been such a long time. It always irritated me that 9.0.4 was the highest version I could install on the 6500 so I looked around and found that.

Things have changed a lot in the last several years though. I've heard of the potential of getting OS X on a 6500. Something I've considered, but my main issue is a serious lack of ram for that Mac.

Ultimately I don't care enough to spend a whole lot of time on that Mac.

Lately the QS has been getting the love after the 17" PowerBook (A1013) died (again). Hoping to rectify that when the tax return makes it's much belated arrival.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
OS 9 Helper. Xpostfacto is for installing OS X(up through Tiger) on unsupported Macs, but there's no chance of getting any retail releases of OS X to run on a 604e.

actually OS X up to 10.2 will run on a 603 or 604 CPU with the help of xpostfacto. 10.3 and up require a G3 CPU or better.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
actually OS X up to 10.2 will run on a 603 or 604 CPU with the help of xpostfacto. 10.3 and up require a G3 CPU or better.

Interesting and good to know-thanks!

If I stick a second hard drive and some more RAM in this beast(yes, I'm typing this post from it) I might try 10.2.

I have a Sonnet G3 that will fit this computer on the way, but I really don't want to give up the "cool" factor of the dual 604s even though I don't think they actually offer much benefit. OS X might actuallly be able to get some advantage from the duals.

I have 10 sticks of 128mb RAM sitting in my shopping cart at OWC at the moment. Part of me is tempted to up it to 12 or 14(so I have enough to really load up both the 8600 and 9600) but the other part of me says it's stupid to spend that much on RAM for 20 year old computers :) .

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Says the man with enough old Macs to open a legitimate Mac museum! ;)

Fair enough, but I can't open a Mac museum without a TAM :)

Of course, if I could charge admission I might be able to make enough to buy one :)

I was just told today that there was going to be a new job posted in my department. They're going to post it in the day after I submit my dissertation, and the department chair gave me a nudge and said I should have my CV ready and be ready to apply for it ;) . He also wanted a copy of my before writing the posting

Assuming that all works out and I get a legitimate office, I'm actually planning on making a sort of mini Mac museum(not a Mac Mini museum). I'll have my main G5 for real work and my hotrod Beige G3 for exam writing. I'm thinking I'll also make room for a Cube and 22" ACD, and probably a Quicksilver(since that is my favorite Mac of all time). I'll cart in the 7100 and set it up with System 7.5 to use as a localtalk-ethernet bridge. It will then have the Laserwriter 7300 connected to it, the Geige G3 and the Quicksilver by Localtalk(I have enough boxes and cables to make that happen) and then the Cube and G5 connected to it by ethernet. The two ethernet ports on the G5 will make that really easy, since I can connect one to the school-side network and the other to my in-office network.

Of course, that's assuming everything works out the way I want it to, but my conversation with the department chair today gave me a lot of hope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.