Year Old MBP Charger Split Open, Will Warranty Cover It?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zane808, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Zane808 macrumors newbie

The photos are a bit big, so I'll upload them elsewhere.
    http://imgur.com/a/nc85u

So, I've had my MBP for over a year now. It is a late 2011 model, but I don't know exactly how long I've had it. So far, the only charger I have needed was the one that came with the computer. I was pretty impressed with its durability, as I was familiar with the old charger models and knew how often they broke. Today, I was using my laptop on my bed and plugged in the charger. Half an hour later, I noticed the end of the charger looked really weird. I unplugged it, turned it around, and saw the bare wires exposed and the insulation split open. I have no idea why it happened, nor do I know exactly when it happened.

My MBP is still covered under extended warranty, but I have no idea whether or not this extends to the charger it came with. So, my question is, if I bring my charger into an Apple store, will I get a replacement under warranty? Or will I just have to suck it up and shell out the cash for a new one?

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

No one can say for sure. It looks like the insulation was stretched/abused to me, which means they could deny it as "customer abuse." I have found Apple's customer service to be flexible, amiable, and eager to help. It is probably worth a shot!

3. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Take it in and see what the "Genius" says. They're able to make the call on if it's a free replacement or not out of warranty.

If you have AppleCare, I think the charger is covered for the 3 years. (I was told by a "Genius" once that the only thing not covered for the whole 3 years of AppleCare are batteries. Those are only covered for 1 year.)

If you don't have AppleCare, and you haven't had the machine serviced for anything yet, they may just give you a new charger for nothing. Worth a shot anyway.

Failing that, going from the pictures, it doesn't look like anything that a bit of electrical tape from your local hardware store can't handle. Wrap some around the tear, pull it tight while doing so, then snip off the end. Good as new!

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Was the charger out in the cold, you might find that a strange question but if it's freezing cold the plastic gets hard and can rupture.

As the above Poster said, if you don't get a new one just use electrical tape.

5. Azzin, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

Azzin macrumors 68040

The charger is covered under Applecare, plus there's no mention of the battery not being covered for the full 3 years:

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/products/mac.html

[Edit] -

What's bit about only covering it for manufacturing defects?

Surely if a battery fails in month 1 or month 35, it's failure?

What else could have caused it, other than a manufacturing defect? :confused:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html

6. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I suppose that it depends on what country you are in.

In Canada and the United States:

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/081811_APP_English_NA_v5.4.pdf

4. What is not Covered?
    4.1 Hardware Service. The Plan does not apply to:
    (vi) Consumable parts, such as batteries, except in respect of battery coverage under APP for iPod or unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials and workmanship;

7. Azzin macrumors 68040

Surely the last bit would apply though?

If it's not a defect in materials &/or workshop, what else could it be?

It's not like it's an external part that could be damaged (like a screen), or am I missing something?

8. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Well, we're talking about a charger here in this thread, not the battery, and I was just relaying a small anecdotal reference of my own experiences to suggest a possible course of action to the original poster.

There's another thread somewhere around here that got locked because things got way out of hand between different parties and their opinions on battery coverage in AppleCare. It was not my intention here to spark another debate on the subject, and I'm not going to go any further here beyond reiterating that it's just what the Apple "Genius" told me when I had my old early-2008 MBP serviced back in July 2011.

9. Azzin macrumors 68040

Sorry, I genuinely wasn't trying to spark anything. :eek:

I was just curious about how Apple could claim anything other than manufacturing defect/workmanship on something as concealed and static as a battery.

Apologies. :)

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Technically no it's not covered, but the genius may do it for you if you're nice!

Looks like it's been in a vacuum cleaner to me! haha