Year old series 4 v new 5

yui4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2011
I’ve been offered a immaculate series 4 ss with Milanese band that is 12 months old for approx $150 less than a brand new series 5 aluminium model.

Which option is more appealing?

Ludatyk

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2012
Texas
this one has no apple warranty remaining, that was my main concern
i understand the security of having a Apple Warranty, but I’ve been an Apple Watch user since the original... I’ve never had any circumstances where I had to take my AW in for issues. Mileage may vary, of course. But as long as the owner has been careful with the AW, it would seem like a no-brainer.

Do you opt-for buying Apple Care with purchase? Just curious.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
I think that accounts for some of the $150 off - otherwise you are getting an 'immaculate' watch per your own description. That's a good deal.

Reactions: yui4

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
if it's the aluminum, i'd probably be concerned about the no warranty. Yesterday I saw a 44mm Series 4 on amazon for $330, but it went quick. Didn't order it when I saw it. Also, sometimes on the refurb apple site you can get a good deal. I just decided to bite the bullet and get the series 5 for my mother in law. I really want them to have the warranty for the screen.

perezr10

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Easy. I‘d rather have a year-old stainless steel watch than a new aluminum. Especially when comparing the 4/5 which have the same processor.
- - Post merged: - -

The warranty is most used in the first few weeks when a defect pops up. If it’s a year old with no problems, you probably don‘t have much to worry about for a while. Most all of the problems I’ve heard of with Apple Watches popped up either very early or after 2 or more years (bulging batteries, dead pixels, etc). And those are fairly rare.

Strangedream

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2019
Singapore
The only major difference between the S4 and S5 is the always on display (AOD) which I personally love. If AOD ain't a big deal for you S4 should be more than good enough. Also the SS looks miles better than the Al IMHO.

Oh and S5 has compass and international emergency calls that S4 doesn't have - just putting this here in case that matters.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
As a first time AppleWatch owner I just bought a new S4 from Amazon for $329 and I LOVE it. It's a great watch.

Reactions: xDKP

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
How did you get a S4 for $329 from Amazon?
They’re discounted at all the time. Not to mention, they were dropping in price when the Series 5 was released, but it’s worth mentioning, that probably was for the sport model Apple Watch 40 mm display.

Last edited:

JCCL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
In my case I would not get an Apple Watch I cannot put AppleCare+ on, but that’s just for me, I’m clumsy and sometimes I can hit my watch against the wall. And also have a crazy Malinois 1 year old dog that still behaves like a puppy!

Reactions: DevinNj

DevinNj

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
In my case I would not get an Apple Watch I cannot put AppleCare+ on, but that’s just for me, I’m clumsy and sometimes I can hit my watch against the wall. And also have a crazy Malinois 1 year old dog that still behaves like a puppy!
Agreed! The Apple Watch is definitely a device I will always have AppleCare+ on. Especially since I have the aluminum version.

NJFP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
So, as I see it, the biggest difference between the 4 and 5 is the AOD. Any chance this feature will be coming to the series 4?

iCorz87

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
Sydney,Australia
I just got the series 5 ss model. AOD isn’t a big deal for me but the price for series 4 was the same so that was my decider. Have never used apple care for any of my products, twice I have needed repairs, once for my iPad Air 2- faulty camera and once for iPhone 7- broken lightening port so phone would charge. Both were replaced by Apple outside of warrant, at no charge to me.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
So, as I see it, the biggest difference between the 4 and 5 is the AOD. Any chance this feature will be coming to the series 4?
No. That is the reason they came out with the newer model - called the series 5.

Apple does not even sell the series 4 anymore. Still lots of inventory out there, but Apple is selling the series 3 and series 5

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
No. That is the reason they came out with the newer model - called the series 5.

Apple does not even sell the series 4 anymore. Still lots of inventory out there, but Apple is selling the series 3 and series 5
Correction: Apple does sell the Series 4 refurbished, they do not sell it new in the box.

xDKP

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I have had stainless steel of my three versions of the watch and would never go for the Alu - but that’s just me. So this would be an easy choice for me even though always on is a great feature

staggerlee41

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
There are still plenty of S4 watches around and right now Best Buy has some tremendous deals on them. Despite having an aluminum S4 already and saying that I'd probably not opt for SS due to the technology upgrades year over year and the additional costs, $300 off was too much for me to resist. I've got a S4 SBSS coming. Still not sure I'll enable LTE at this point though.

Reactions: xDKP