Yearbook staff of 28 people, group texting solution?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSahand, Jun 10, 2010.

1. TheSahand macrumors member

is there any way,
    whether through third-party app or perhaps OS 4 "group texting",
    that i can set up all the numbers into a group,
    type a message,
    and just select all quickly and send to all of them?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not sure if your budget allows for it, but you might want to look at this website. It sends texts from your computer.

http://smseverywhere.com/bulk.htm

Also, depending on your student's cellphones and their capabilities, you might do something with Twitter.

Good luck.

3. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Group messaging is in OS 4. Send a mass text and the receiver can send messages back to the entire group. It's like making a chat room.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. TheSahand thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys!
    cahoot would be great, but not everyone has an iPhone, so i wouldn't be able to communicate with all.

I know the iPad is able to create groups in the contacts app,
    hopefully there'll be the same thing in the iPhone

just a simple way to add more than one person to the SMS list is all i wish for

6. mstockton macrumors newbie

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Its built into the OS. No need to get an app. Well, there might be a limit of receipients on the OS version. Not sure. But you can mass text by default if you turn it on in the settings.

8. jasheeky macrumors member

9. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Just a question on mass texting (sorry to thread jack):

If you send the same message to your group of 28 people, does it count as 28 texts or one?

10. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

If u have osx and a Mac u can do it in address book. Just create a group drag people to it and sync the phone. Then type group name in SMS to field. Easy

11. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

OK guys, I'm usually not a person to do this, but...please actually read what the OP wrote, perhaps? We know it's possible to do a mass messaging on the phone, but the OP wanted to know if it's possible to do it without having to type in names of the contacts each and every time.

As far as I know, it's not built into any version of i(Phone)OS. I just tried typing the name of a group from my address book into the recipient field, and it didn't work, no matter how I toggled messaging settings.

It seems weird to me that it isn't built into the OS, as it would be really useful. My students check their text messages much more than they check e-mail, so this would be a really useful thing to be able to do without having to deal with an app...but if an app is the only way, I think it's worth investigating, for me anyway.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Since it is going to 28 different people, I would think it counts as 28 texts.

13. jason221 macrumors 6502

You would not have to write the names in every time, though. Since a transcript of the original message you send is saved in the Messages app, all you have to do is go to that original message and then send another.

14. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Exactly what this post says. You create the list of 28 one time. Then after, you merely go back to that original text thats saved and send the next message.

See, built in! :D

15. mcbey macrumors newbie

I have to say the most user friendly solution to this would be twitter. You could set up an account specifically for the Yearbook, and have all the people in the class sign up for txt message alerts. Simple solution that everyone could do regardless of your device, and easily manageable from your iPhone.

16. DLivengood macrumors newbie

Mass Text Message

I created a great new app that will accomplish your group texting in a more efficient way. You can create a group for your 28 students. In 1 tap, you can launch a text to your group. It's so fast!

It's faster because you won't have to search for the old text message. Also, if there's a few people that you don't want to receive a certain text, you can temporarily uncheck them and launch your text without them.

Check it out at http://MassTextMessage.com

Enjoy!

17. RowanBuds macrumors newbie

I hate to re-reiterate but it seems that nobody may be correctly interpreting the OP's intent:

When sending a text to say, 28 people---he can send to all with no problem. Lets call the sender User 1.

My interpretation is that the OP would like an (iphone) recipient (User 2) to be able to reply to the message which he received (From User 1 and sent to 27 others also), and the reply to the original message would retain the distribution group, therefore sending his reply to 28 different recipients---the 27 who also received the original message from User 1, and User 1 himself.

Please solve this problem for the OP, and myself!!