Yearly backup storage recommendation?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by trjwv, Dec 8, 2010.

1. trjwv macrumors regular

I was wondering what system most was using for their yearly backup? Portable hard drive, DVD, thumb drive etc... If portable hard drive, which brand is reliable. Currently I have all my photos on my iMac with time machine backing up to a TC. I want to backup all photos yearly onto a passport and delete from my iMac to keep my iMac running fast for post processing, but this would only give me one copy. Is duplicating the backup to two passports and keeping one passport off site, since passports are relatively not expensive 79.95 for 500gb and 119.95 for 1TB, recommended? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all...

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I have a Western portable HD 500 that I picked up on sale off of Amazon. It connects with a USB so it is slower than a firewire connection. I use TC daily and my portable HD every two months or more depending upon the frequency of my photo excursions. This works for me for now. Oh, if you see my sig, I too am waiting. Hope our wait isn't too long.:D

3. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I back up to bare hard drives in a USB/eSATA drive dock. Older drives get shelved and an occasional backup goes off-site. I always want to have at least two recent drives offsite and at least two onsite. That doesn't include the "live" storage in my system.

Paul