Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azfalcons

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
Valley of the sun
so people think I'm crazy because I update my phone every year. The reason is as we know each company now charges a monthly fee (at least Verizon and ATT do) for the phone unless you pay the full amount. I don't have the money to pay the full amount but when the new phones come out I owe less than 30 to upgrade. The way I see it if I upgrade yearly I pay the monthly fee and If I wait the full two years I still pay the monthly fee regardless. Is this crazy talk to justify myself. lol

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
if I only had listened to what people said... oh boy.

Do what suits you the best. If a new phone makes you happy every year, there is nothing wrong with it.

Back in the day, I used to work in a mom and pop computer store. I didn't bother to keep my computer case closed, cause at least once a month, I would replace some parts for newer, better or faster. I continued to do that for close to 4 years because I really enjoyed that. Now I have several soulless mac's and one PC that I still tinker with. I upgrade parts perhaps once a year if that because I still find this exciting, plus I somewhat keep my system current and fresh.

Reactions: BeeGood and 5105973

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Since I buy unlocked every year, it's really expensive to continue unless I sell my iPhone every year to regain some money. If I had the option to upgrade for a small fee and then pay monthly, that would be awesome. I'm on T-Mobile prepaid though, so no iPhone Upgrade Program for me :/

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I buy my phones sim free unlocked from the Apple Store.

I skipped the 6s models so am waiting to see what the iPhone 7 brings.

The cost of these things are high so it's got to ✔️ my wants and needs boxes.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I typically upgrade every year. I sell my old phone and buy the newest one. Once everything nets out, it usually costs me about $200 net.

Some people spend that partying on a weekend, or going to one football game. It's really not a big deal spread out over the course of a year.

Get the phone you want, when you want it as long as you have the means. Try not to worry about other's opinions...you have to use your phone, they don't.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
I think the iPhone Upgrade Program is a great deal and am looking forward to using it for annual upgrades for a long time.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
so people think I'm crazy because I update my phone every year. The reason is as we know each company now charges a monthly fee (at least Verizon and ATT do) for the phone unless you pay the full amount. I don't have the money to pay the full amount but when the new phones come out I owe less than 30 to upgrade. The way I see it if I upgrade yearly I pay the monthly fee and If I wait the full two years I still pay the monthly fee regardless. Is this crazy talk to justify myself. lol

I don't understand your post. If you're talking about plans like AT&T next the 12 mo upgrade is the most expensive plan, they have cheaper alternatives. Also, even if you don't upgrade the 'Fee' does not continue after you pay off the phone.. I can understand the argument to upgrade yearly but it does cost more overall.

Reactions: M. Gustave

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Not sure about AT&T or Verizon but I know that on T-Mobile if you're not financing a phone then your bill is cheaper. I've been upgrading every year since the iPhone 4 but I'll likely skip this year since I have basically no complaints with the 6s plus.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I buy a new iPhone every year just because I enjoy tech. Do whatever makes you happy, you don't need a justification for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.