Yellow bar of "other"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ravenfan, Aug 21, 2015.

1. ravenfan macrumors member

I have never posted with an iPhone question and I couldn't find anything about this when I searched, so if it is something really easy and obvious, give me a newbie break.

I haven't synced my iPhone 6+ in a really long time and at today's sync, there is 53 gb of "other" in the bar that displays how many gb something is using - the color showing is yellow. It is 128 and I have 25 gb of music, 890 mb of music (also yellow but a very thin line of it), five gb of photos, which is a pink line, 7 gb of apps which is light green, 2 gb of documents, which is a darker green, and the rest is yellow - "other."

What is this and how is it using so much memory?

Thanks.

2. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

This has been going on since at least 2012. Not sure how you searched but didn't see this.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/yellow-other-space-too-large.1250052/

Anyway, the last time I asked about it, I was told to do a restore and that would solve it. I decided to live with it.

There are programs that will let you explore exactly what 'other' is, and I'm sure others will chime in.

3. Attack Eagle macrumors newbie

Attack Eagle

It is memory used by apps.
    For example videos you sync using VLC streamer or plex will appear as other.
    Music you save for offline on Spotify will be other, etc.

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers