Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
I had a Macbook for a few days. While I loved it, I noticed the screen was yellow.

Recently I had to replace the screen of my iMac. When got it back I thought "Wow, that’s yellow". I called Apple support and I asked what to do because I didn’t feel to argue with a genius about colors. The support told me I have three months to replace it (one of the things I love about Apple). Yet I was not sure I wanted to wait for another two weeks for another yellow display as the Macbook was yellow too.

Since I read many times how great the Macbook displays are I started wondering on why writing computer reviews became a popular job among the color blind. This may sound harsh if we forget people make purchase decisions based on articles. I’m not good in running so I don’t write reviews of running shoes.

I have no calibration device at home. I picked up a Canon 6D with an L lenses. The format was RAW. The images were imported into Lightroom using no white balance change, no auto tone, no auto contrast, no birthday party filter, nothing. I sent them to Photoshop and used the color picker with 31 by 31 average at various areas of the images.

I shot more than 20 photos with various brightness settings on the devices from various angles. This is only a sample of the similar results.

The first image is the iMac. The second one is the iPhone 6S. There is a magenta-blue 2012 MBP too on the pictures to make you sure it’s not an "Apple is sinking" thread.

All you have to see are the RGB numbers, the slider doesn’t matter.

One can say it’s not scientific or it’s the ambient light, but that would imply that my eyes and the 6D are confused the same way, and the quality control of the iPhone 6S (and the iPad) was confused the very same way too, because the iPhone is almost perfectly white (a little bit green). As well is my iPad (not on the photo).

I suppose if I see a screen yellow and it’s yellow, and I see another screen white that’s white, I can risk saying that most of the screens I see yellow are likely yellow.

Every time I walk into a store and look at a Macbook, I see the screen yellow in the first moment.

I’m not an android though. After a while my eyes get used to it or confused. I can’t review all the screens in a store just by looking at them one by one. It’s not yellow like a lemon. It’s 2% yellow.

Still, I can’t remember a single time when the first Macbook I looked at didn’t seem yellow, and I’m afraid I will have the similar experience with the new MBR. Yesterday I surely met a yellow one.

iMac

iPhone

Hint: the middle and the bottom right of the iMac is almost white. I notice the yellow easily when I type an url into a browser at the top of the screen

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
Unless using a expensive calibration system, human eyes is not good measurement of white because human unique with color adjustment system make white not white or make other color become white.

Liat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
Unless using a expensive calibration system, human eyes is not good measurement of white because human unique with color adjustment system make white not white or make other color become white.

So?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013

What they mean to say is that if one has a pink or blue hue, your eyes will adjust to that and consider it white.

Like when comparing my 6s with my 7+ it makes the 7+ appear more yellow. However, if just looking at the 6s I notice it's more of a pink hue.

I think white is in the eye of the beholder because it seems to vary a lot like the color black does.

Liat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
What they mean to say is that if one has a pink or blue hue, your eyes will adjust to that and consider it white.

I understood what he wrote. I didn’t understand what he wanted to express with it since I could find nothing in the text I didn’t discuss already in the OP. And I still can’t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.