Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
My 6 yr old sis got bitten by one in my basement. apparently it wasn't flying. My mom saw the thing and killed it. Anyways, is it possible for anymore to be down there? btw, i live in wisconsin so i doubt there are anymore down there but w/ wasps i've heard the saying, "where there is one, there is more." ALL of my sister's toys are downstairs in the basement so my family needs to get rid of the problem quickly.

Berlepsch

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
My 6 yr old sis got bitten by one in my basement. apparently it wasn't flying. My mom saw the thing and killed it. Anyways, is it possible for anymore to be down there? btw, i live in wisconsin so i doubt there are anymore down there but w/ wasps i've heard the saying, "where there is one, there is more." ALL of my sister's toys are downstairs in the basement so my family needs to get rid of the problem quickly.

Only the wasp "queens" live through the winter to build up a new hive in the next spring. They search for dark and dry places to hibernate, and can often be found in cellars or basements. So don't worry, it is very unlikely that you'll have more of them around.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you saw one in the cellar, you need to be sure there are no more.

I had a HUGE nest of paper wasps in my cellar. I'd walk around the cellar, checking the perimeter to see if you hear or see any more of them.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
its not bitten, its stung. :rolleyes:

and unless you know the specific species, might be a solitary kind; no nest.

in any event, peace of mind trumps science and logic. so look anywhere you think they could be, check, and be sure.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
I was woken up once in the middle of the night by my parents and hauled outside because they found out there was a huge nest of yellow jackets in the wall...

I'd check around to see if there are more. In that instance, they noticed a few that were in the room, and then noticed a buzzing by the wall.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
if my sister was stung, then there would be a stinger but here wasn't so i am pretty sure she was bitten.
Unlike bees when a wasp stings the stinger doesn't fall out. So she may have been stung.
Oddly enough, i've never been stung by any bees/wasps.

Nor have I. Which is somewhat interesting, because everyone in my immediate family has been stung more than a few times each and I'm the only one who used to go out and catch bees and wasps in jars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.