Yellow Line on Apple 30" Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chas0001, Jul 14, 2011.

1. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I have an Apple 30" Cinema Display that I purchased in 2005. It has been a great monitor, that was up until today. There is now a yellow line/band going down the middle of the screen from top to bottom. First of all I thought it was the graphics card causing the problem but I connected the display to 2 other computers and the problem still persists.

Has anybody else experienced this and is there a fix?

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Unfortunately it is the LCD panel that is starting to fail. It is hardware and not software and it's not, as you've learned, your GPU. :( Maybe you can sell it off for a couple hundred (or more) and pick up another used one. I saw a used one here for $800, which as you know is so much less than what they were new. I worry about mine going out since Apple has decided that we enjoy looking into a virtual mirror when we type (ie: glossy screens).

3. chas0001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Damnit. I gathered as much. I can still use it but the yellow line does get on my nerves a bit. Like you say, the newer ACD's are way too glossy. Good idea though, selling it for parts when it does give up the ghost. I was looking at the Dell 30" displays but not sure whether they are reliable or not. I suppose the good things with the Dell's are that they are DHCP compliant.

Anyway. Thanks for your help.

4. PaulWog Suspended

The Dell 30" displays are rather nice. They have some awesome reviews. I have to say that Dell's 30" IPS display (at least the current ones) is superior to Apple's Cinema display. The only downside is that Apple's cinema display has a nicer shell (much nicer shell... gotta love the encasings they make). I'm a major aesthetics freak, so I would jump on a 27-inch Apple Cinema before I would jump on a 30-inch Dell, despite the Dell being larger and slightly superior in picture; the only reason I don't have either is the price, and that Apple's cinema display wouldn't really work with my desktop.

5. chas0001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I was looking at the Dell's. True they are not as nice looking as the 27" Apple LED displays but they do have lots of connectivity options and have a matt screen. Glossy is really out of the question as I do not want to move my computer desk.

So I took the bull by the horns and ordered a Dell U2711. I think that the 27 incher is ample big enough and I managed to get it for £630 ($1010 with tax) from amazon.co.uk. The Apple 27" is £918 ($1480 with tax), thats a ridiculous price to pay for a monitor with one connection type. I think that the Apple monitors may get a refresh soon and have Thunderbolt connectors so that they can be daisy chained.

My 30" ACD now has a bright green line to go with the yellow one.

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I see you ordered the 27" dell and said you would prefer not to have the ACD, but keep an eye on the 27 apple display next week. It may be replaced by a thunderbolt enabled version and the current may be dropped in price some.

May change your mind.