Yellow Low-light photos

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applehappy, Jul 3, 2010.

1. applehappy macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

Anybody NOT experiencing this: http://www.macworld.com/article/152434/2010/07/iphone4flashissues.html
    Key reason for my upgrade to iPhone 4 was the camera. I'm getting pretty yellow, orange looking photos in lower light indoors, with or without the flash. I'm curious if this is the norm? If not I'll stop by the local Apple store for a swap. But if it is the norm, I'll wait for firmware/iOS updates.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Sounds like typical results from under exposure. Don't forget the camera in the iPhone is a relatively simple affair that works best in good lighting conditions.

3. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I actually think the the top two photos in that thread are faked. Look at the hand position, its exactly the same in the top two, while in the bottom two its different in each photo.

I do think there is a yellowing problem, and I believe it has to do with the white balance issue.

Im having some issues, although people in this thread are trying to tell me Im not.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=957164&highlight=glocke12

4. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

Same problem here, I had an apple appointment in 2 hrs for this matter.

I have a screen shot attach, the last 12 pic are yellow.

[​IMG]

5. richard371 macrumors 68000

Bad auto white balance in the software. Even 5k DSLrs have issues with auto white balance in low light but they give you WB options to choose from. Your phone is not defective at all. "stay tuned"

6. n0lram macrumors newbie

it's the artificial lighting. easily fixed, but annoying none the less. hopefully they tweak it in the future.

7. applehappy thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

Thanks. I figured it was prob a sw issue. Sounds like most think it is.

8. jll62 macrumors regular

It's almost certainly an issue with auto white balance, but don't expect a fix. AWB is an issue even for top of the line DSLRs, especially in scenes with light sources of different temperature like you have in an indoor scene with the flash. The only way to get accurate color in these shots, from any camera, is to fix the color in post processing.

9. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Mine is pretty bad. I had my first one exchanged for other issues, however, the replacement I got has really bad yellowing. I doubt this is a software issue, since my the one I had previous to this replacement was completely fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]