Yellow "minimize" in Firefox disappears

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dukejen04, Jan 27, 2009.

1. dukejen04 macrumors newbie

I don't know why, but the minimize (orange/yellow) button in Firefox keeps disappearing. It will only come back when I restart Firefox. It seems to be related to me running VLC, although I can't be quite sure. Sometimes it just seems to to disappear for no reason (by disappear, I mean it turns gray and I can't push it).

I have a new Macbook, am running 10.5.6 for OSX, and Firefox 3.0.5.

Any ideas? This isn't the end of the world, but it is REALLY annoying.

2. roger6106 macrumors regular

No problem here, and I regularly run Firefox and VLC at the same time (newest versions of each).

3. Grutz macrumors newbie

Same problem here.

I am having the same problem with Firefox 3.05 on an Intel iMac running 10.5.6. :(

4. rachaelov macrumors newbie

Yup - I get the same problem too - and yeah, it DOES seem to happen when VLC is running... any suggestions gratefully recieved

5. t22design macrumors regular

I also have experienced this, but with Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection, not VLC.

No idea what the problem/solution is though.

6. hfz3 macrumors newbie

Many Firefox users are experiencing a problem where Firefox suddenly disappears. As a result they have to switch to other browsers e.g. Google Chrome etc. I believe I have found the cause. My problem began after I installed Kapersky 2010 Internet Suite.
    By clicking the my security zone tab on the Kapersky main page, I found that Firefox was listed in the Safe Run (Sand Box), after I deleted the icon for Firefox from this box, the problem went away. hope this helps

7. roger6106 macrumors regular

This is amusing. I was having a problem with the yellow minimize button on Firefox disappearing, so I finally decided to google it. I wasn't expecting to find a topic that I'd replied to.

I didn't even think about the possibility of VLC having an effect on this. I often have VLC running on space 2 and Firefox on space 1. Switching back and forth between spaces a couple of times will cause the minimize button on Firefox become disabled.

I never use the minimize button, so it doesn't bother me. I just found it strange that it was disabled.

8. macjool macrumors newbie

9. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

I'm not running VLC and it has been disappearing on me tonight. I was playing Grim Fandango off Steam and that's about it (checked some references online when it first disappeared). I also noticed my PS3 controller disconnected from Grim Fandango every couple of hours or so. I wonder if it's a USB glitch (i.e. I tried plugging my 3TB media drive into a USB3 hub, but about once or twice a night it would give a "improperly disconnected" warning even though it would seem to happen only for a split second or less so I had to plug it back into the Mac Mini directly and the problem went away. Unplugging a controller wouldn't give that warning and in most games you wouldn't even notice if it was just a fraction of a second, but Grim Fandango Remastered will not recognize a controller that is not plugged in when you start or if you unplug it and then plug it back in (unless you quit and restart) and thus I figure that's what's happening). The controller is plugged into my old USB2 hub (slower devices all there) and it has never given me any hiccups EVER before so that might not be what's happening either (i.e. it could be Grim Fandango itself or a bug in El Capitan itself).

I don't know if anything was on those web sites that might have incited that missing yellow button, though. It's the first time I've seen that happen. It is the latest Firefox, but I did have to bypass a version check to get my Noia theme working since it apparently is fine other than the version check, but the author appeared to quit; I couldn't find a better theme yet and the default is Chrome and I hate Chrome).