Yellow Patches on Display

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maanick, Mar 21, 2008.

1. maanick macrumors newbie

Hi.

i have an iMac G5, (ALS,1.8Ghz,17"). My Monitor is displaying jagged yellow lines all across the screen. Screen shot is attached below(look at the iTunes window). Does anyone have any idea on how to rectify this issue ?

Attached Files:

2. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

How old is it?

Actually, is that a photo or screen grab? If it's a screen grab, it's not the monitor but actually being output like that, which would suggest graphics card.

3. Quint macrumors member

If you have a few minutes and a small screwdriver, open the back of the iMac and check the capacitors on the logic board.

Lay the iMac screen down and loosen the three screws on the bottom of the case. Be careful of the ALS.

Carefully lift the bottom half of the back cover and disengage the plastic tabs on top.

Now look for the capacitors on the logic board. (They are the cylindrical things standing up from the board with + symbols on the metal tops.) the tops of them should be flat and even.

If any of them are pushed up or bulging, you have a bad logic board and you should contact an Apple Authorized service technician or Apple Store. This defect is most likely covered under warranty.

Be careful to fully engage the plastic tabs at the top of the cover when replacing.

4. maanick thread starter macrumors newbie

Re:

This is a screen grab... not a photo

Think the warranty period is over... The age is nearing 3 years.. Should I scramble for apple care ? Is it possible to get Apple Care now?

5. Quint macrumors member

The specific problem I mentioned, if it is the cause, is covered under a special extended warranty.

6. maanick thread starter macrumors newbie

I read the terms and conditions of the extended warranty programme. Apparently, they are covering just the Rev A of iMac G5. I have the Rev B. So what should be done?