Yellow Screen on Reburbished iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dexthageek, Jun 23, 2010.

1. dexthageek macrumors 6502

I am probably going to order a refurbished i7 iMac this week.

Has anyone ordered a refurbished unit and had the yellow tint, or grays bars on the screen?

Hopefully since the machine has been tested before going on sale again, they will fix any screen issues.

I am going to get AppleCare, but don't want to have to use it right away.

2. clager macrumors member

Yes! collegue collected his refurbished i7 only 4 days back, same issue with a yellowish screen, a lot less but its still there.

3. cryer macrumors regular

Sigh... you sound like me when I first ordered mine.

100% Absolutely YES. Refurbs have the yellow tinge, grey bar, backlight bleed, dead and stuck pixels, totally absent wifi card, and even dents on the machine itself.

DO NOT buy an iMac. I learned my lesson.

4. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Unfortunately, there are several posts in this sub-forum about people who purchased refurbished iMacs with the yellow tint problem as well as other problems.:(

5. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Well I have a 27 refurb and the screen is perfect. My brother ordered a 27 refurb and he also has a perfect screen.

I bought a new i5 and traded with my father for a C2D just for the better screen. I bought the computer for him new from the store.

Yes you are correct most of the time a refurb will be better than a new machine. Do a search on refurbs and you will see what I mean.

Most people who have problems always will tell you about the bad experience of buying them if they had a bad experience. But most of the people with yellow screens just on this site have bought new machines, not refurbs and then bought a refurb without issue.

Do a search and come to your own conclusion. Not what others tell you even me.

6. dexthageek thread starter macrumors 6502

I finally gave in and ordered the 27'' i7 last night. I am going to upgrade the RAM on my own, saves quite a bit. :)

I am sure Apple will update the iMac line next week now! :p

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I bought the 27" 3.06 C2D refurbished and it has no problems. One of the reasons I went with the 3.06 instead of the i7 was significantly fewer yellowing problems. I believe they pretty much have this problem licked so I hope you get a good one

8. dexthageek thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

I thought about getting the C2D but, my wife and I have a baby on the way, I have a feeling I need a machine that will last me at least 5 years. My last PC (custom) lasted me 6 years, but just died last month, GPU and North Bridge fried, not sure how.

9. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Did you get a new i7 or a refurbished one?

I thought refurbished macs could not be BTO'd?

10. dexthageek thread starter macrumors 6502

I ordered a refurbished i7. Saves about $300, and any BTO options I can do on my own cheaper. Only planning on upgrading the RAM to 8GB. 2x4GB is only around $120 if ordered from OCW or Newegg.

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

To be honest (and I'm only guessing here) I'd have thought you are far far more lightly to have a yellow screen iMAc if you buy a refurb.

I mean, what are they going to do with all the returned macs they have been getting back?

Do we really think they will take out the screen and replace it, just because some people may notice a slight colour variance across the screen?

12. dexthageek thread starter macrumors 6502

YES! Especially since they should not have the color variance to begin with. If it happens to have a bad screen, then I will get a replacement.

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

But what is bad?

It's a matter of opinion isn't it?

I'm sure there are many thousands of happy iMac owners with screens that many on here would throw back as faulty in seconds.

It's like when someone it selling something and they say immaculate condition.

One persons idea of immaculate may not be the same as someone else.

I'm sure many screens (not just on macs) have colour variances across the screen. No, make that ALL screens do, just as most screen have some uneven backlight bleed when you sit in a dark room with a black screen.

Just some people are bothered and others just accept it.

I hope you are right, but I'm sure many fractionally yellow screens and within what Apple would call acceptable manufacturing tolerances.

If everyone was THAT bothered, then no-one would buy TN panels at all, as they are terrible really, but still the most popular model, as most people just don't care that much as they are "good enough" for them.

14. dexthageek thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree 100%, "most" people would never even notice the yellow tint, or grey bars, if they had not seen someone complain about it and post a graphic to test the display.

15. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Refurbs are good deals and you have the right to be demanding. If you get a yellow screen, push back and demand that Apple stand behind its expensive product.

16. ttopp macrumors regular

most may not notice the yellow but those that do notice and for those who feel the "ultimate display" shouldnt have those issues then yes they should definatly complain..

i love my macs but i couldnt put up with something that claims to be something its not..

If one came and i wasnt happy id definatly send it back,,you should too.

17. dexthageek thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, Apple is very good at exchanging/repairing bad machines. And applecare is awesome. If I am not happy, I will definitely be sending it back, I am paying a premium for an Apple and it should be nearly perfect.

18. cryer macrumors regular

Again, your sentiments are exactly as i expressed when i first ordered mine. I thought I'd just exchange it for another, not that big a deal. What if that one is also bad? Well, let's think about that later.

Fast forward to today and I've gone through 5. Each one has had a defect and not just the screen. Screen issues ranged from yellow to grey bar across the screen to dead and stuck pixels to excessive backlight bleed from corner. You couldn't watch a movie without noticing the bleed on the bottom black bar. Non-screen issues ranged from no wifi card to grumbling hard drive noise to dents in the stand to high pitched whine when lowering brightness. And of course right when you've returned your yellow iMac, the replacement doesn't have it but instead has a grey bar. Then you think you might go for a repair instead but who knows if it would fix it (what if it ends up worse) and why should you have to repair a machine you just bought. But if you go for repair, you are no longer allowed to replace or get a refund. Also, don't know if you're bothered by dead pixels but every single one i had had them in some form (including the iSight)

Taking into consideration that i had to lug these 40lbs machines to and from work and home and that this took over a month in total, I sincerely wish you luck on your order but keep in mind it could be this bad. Then again, maybe you might have accepted a faulty machine as "good enough". I also had a problem with fedex but that's a whole other story.