iPad mini Yellow screen on rMini... exchange?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by everydayCARD, Nov 16, 2013.

1. everydayCARD macrumors member

Hi,

I bought the rMini on the day it was released and had to go through a couple of them as every single one of them had dead pixels and dust particles stuck under the screen until I finally found one that didn't have both. I previously owned a iPad 1 and iPhone 3G, 3GS, iPhone 4, MacBook Pro 15inch but never had such an issue before with any Apple products. After spending some time on the forum, I realize now that this was a well-known, wide-spread issue but was wondering if anyone else was going through a similar experience.

Since I already went through a couple of them and they all had faults, I am afraid that swapping this unit out with another one might mean that might increase my chances of getting one with bigger faults (dead pixels, dust particles etc.)

Should I keep this one and try to live with the yellow screen? or should I just go return it all together? (I already feel guilty for swapping out a couple of units for dead pixels and dust particles, although it was really Apple's fault that I had to swap them out.)

Attached Files:

2. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

Your white balance is way too off for me to give my opinion. In the end, it's your money. If it's going to bother you that much then return it. Don't be worried what others think :)

3. sixrom macrumors 6502a

Go back for another. You paid top dollar for quality. They owe it to you.

4. everydayCARD thread starter macrumors member

hmm...

What do you mean when you say that my white balance is way too off?

I'm no professional, so I really can't tell whether my white balance is off or not. All I can tell is the fact that the lower bottom of my screen is yellow.

----------

I am pretty sure that I will be put on their black list if I go exchange it out for another one. Plus, I don't want to get treated as an OCD freak :(

If I were to return this, I would return it for a refund rather than an exchange.
    Not willing to risk opening up another one and then finding faults with another unit.

5. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

Whatever you used to take that photo is not properly capturing pure "white". Simple example, look how red/pink tinted tour white iPad bezel is. Your camera is not calibrated properly to be able to ask people to determine proper color.

http://digital-photography-school.com/introduction-to-white-balance

Edit- don't feel bad about getting a replacement. Without you, the customer, they'd be out a job. They are there for you.

6. everydayCARD thread starter macrumors member

Yup, I used a iPhone 4 to take the pictures in a less than perfect lighting. All in all, I do notice the yellowing bottom part, but love this new iPad. I am seriously considering returning this for an iPad Air. (correct me if I am wrong, but I read that iPad Airs have less of display issues)

7. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

I couldn't begin to tell you which model between the two has less issues.

I've found it difficult to judge what is a true widespread problem when regarding devices. I don't doubt that people have the issues they say they do, but I believe the least vocal folks are those without issues. Don't think that the Air's are flawless. Get what you truly want, not what you will settle for.

That said, I got a 128GB LTE model on day 1 and I'm still waiting on a replacement for it. I visited the Genius Bar and they noted a 2", red/pink tinted "strip" straight across the top of my iPad's screen (when in portrait mode), but they were out of stock and could not replace it. My Apple business department associate has not even been able to get me a replacement in yet.

Makes me wonder if Apple put some kind of hold on production on my model for some reason.

8. betabeta macrumors 6502a

You know, if they all were this way, I would say live with it, but why should some end up with nice screens and others not? Would be like buying a car and just by the luck of the draw get one where the interior is faded on the front seats. It's a DEFECT, not a color temperature setting, these should be discounted or never used in the first place, they are hoping people just take what they get, and many do.

The reason Apple takes these back is because it's a defect, not a white balance issue, could it be corrected by white balance? maybe. If it was uniform and just a slight color temperature change, yeah you might be OCD, and some do return perfectly fine iPads with just the hint of color change, I'm not saying that's right at all.

I'm saying if people see these yellow screens in person it's not a warm color, it's a dirty yellow. I have seen warm screens, cold screens, and I don't mind a warm screen, my main LCD monitor is warm. But I have showed this issue to people and they mostly said WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED, why is it yellow? They don't say warm. When I took back my iPad 3, the Apple employee said how did that get by QC?

Take it back, I'm seriously tired of this yellow issue after 3 years, clearly they are just trying to push out screens that should have been rejected just to keep a massive markup (the profit is the best in the industry) But I give them credit they seem to take them back very easy:):apple:

9. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Although I understand, but I'm not too fussed about white balance because when the jailbreak is out I will be able to change the overall color profile

Now if one area is yellower than other, then there's not much one can do

10. dL. macrumors 6502

It's simple.

If you have the time, and it's worth the time to you to get a better unit, then do so. Otherwise, leave it.

If you can live with it, keep it. If not, return and/or exchange.

There's no blacklist, OCD, owing. It's simple. Do you like the purchase you have made? If not, then do something about it.

If one Apple store doesn't let you exchange anymore, then try another one. There's also a Best Buy, Target, Walmart, even Apple Store Online. The world cannot stop you from exchanging. You can even get your siblings, friends or your parents to get it on behalf of you. So there is no such thing as "blacklist" because there are so many ways around it. Heck, go to another country and buy/exchange during your trip for all they care. At the end of the day, Apple wants your business.

Just do what you think is happy. Ignore all the people who support or curse you. Everyone's standards are different. Everyone's priorities are different. Some value time and experience, while some value perfection.

Personally, while I've lowered my expectation for Apple, I always have to go through a few units to get the one I am satisfied with. Except for notebook Macs, I seem to get lucky with those lol.

:apple:

dL

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

There isn't an exact science to this. Assuming the sensor ---> raw processor ---> image viewing application is 100% correct, it should be neutral around 6500k in the white balance setting. That's because the transmitted light from the mini should be around that temperature without adjusting for the reflection of ambient light off the glass. The link doesn't explain it fully, nor does my explanation. It's enough in the context of the thread though.

12. Szarky, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

Szarky macrumors 6502a

You should have already gotten the hint I think if you went through a couple(2? 3?) units that had problems. If you created a post questioning your purchase in my opinion you definitely regret your purchase. I'm in the same boat.

At first I regretted reading all the problems people were posting on the forums before I had even gone to pick-up my rMini so I figured "it can't be that bad, hopefully I'll just get a good unit." Then I realized "wait a minute, this thing wasn't cheap, about $550 after taxes, this thing better be perfect for me to be happy." As soon as I started playing around with it I started having regrets. The flatter colour palette compared to the Air at first bothered me but I quickly got over it as I realized I had been using my girlfriends gen 1 Mini that has the same duller palette and I didn't notice or complain about it. The yellow screen though? I wouldn't say it's really bad but it's annoying especially since once you notice it, you ALWAYS see it after that. As painful as it was to go back to a non-retina screen I actually started going back to using my girlfriends gen 1 Mini as the white screen was uniform. Every time I'd use my rMini I would notice the yellow screen. 1 step forward(retina), 1 step back(yellow 1/4 bottom) this gen it feels like.

I'm going right now to return both the rMini's I got, both have the problem. Will order online and see if the problems still exists. Hopefully screens are made in different factories or it's assembled in a different place than the batch that came to my store.

13. syd430 Guest

I would swap it out. Not because it's "yellow" but because the tint is very noticeably uneven. Seems a lot warmer at the bottom compared to the top.

If the whole screen was warmer, I would have kept it. I actually prefer the warmer screens.