Yellow screen, T-Mobile won't exchange

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rockies, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Rockies macrumors 6502

So I went to an Apple store today and compared my Iphone 6 with about 5 other Iphones, and yes my screen is way yellow. Even the Apple employees acknowledged it. So I call up my local T-Mobile store today to see if I could exchange (within 14 days) and they said I would have to go to Apple Store to do an exchange. Apple said they would only give me a refurbished one. Apparently Apple does send refurbished ones, even around launch time, so the Apple employee says. I feel like just returning the damn phone back to T-Mobile and tell them to shove it, even if I have to pay a $50 restocking fee. I thought you could do an exchange with the carrier within a 14 day period if the phone was damaged.

2. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

How are you gonna get a refurbish iPhone 6 this early?
    Go ahead and get it replace @apple store and forget about it.

3. Rockies thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem solved. Taking the phone back to T-Mobile, get my refund and buy at Apple Store. Should have done this in the first place.

4. Jspiegs macrumors member

Jspiegs

That's ridiculous! TMobile should have just replaced it on the spot.

5. fins831 macrumors 6502a

i'd contact the BBB on t-mobile, thats insane, they should swap it out no issue

6. Rockies thread starter macrumors 6502

Good idea. I think I will get the manager's name and store number and it least address it to the higher up management team at T-Mobile.

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

This early in the game the replacements will be new. They'll come in white boxes, but it's just too early for them to have any real stock of refurb devices.

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Return it outright, get a refund, order from Apple.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The problem is that you guys have no idea what terms Apple has with T-Mobile. T-Mobile may not be able to simply have these things replaced with others, whereas Apple has a greater level of control over their own retail outfits. The case of a yellow screen is somewhat subjective, and it may be within Apple's tolerance levels. That doesn't mean I would want to keep such a thing, but it is entirely possible. Unless they were rude to you, your issue is with their policies rather than the manager of that store. The better business bureau is also a silly place to complain unless you were misled. Did they fail to meet their stated return/exchange policy?

10. Rockies thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like they failed T-mobiles return/exchange policy to me. And yes it was the Manager who indicated that I could not exchange it at the carrier store and that I had to go to the Apple Store. Here it is from T-Mobile: To receive a refund or to exchange a device (less any discounts or rebates), or to cancel your service without incurring an early termination fee (for service contracts of 1 year or more), return your Device in its original package with all original contents undamaged and in good working condition with no material alterations to the Device’s hardware or software to any T-Mobile retail store within 14 days of the purchase date of the original device.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That's strange, or at least I wouldn't have expected it.

12. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I'm not sure why Apple Genius said that the replacements are refurbs. Technically right now it's way too early for refurbish iphone 6/6+ to show up, and it can take about a month or two or even three for it to start showing up. Apple sets a side a few new units for replacement purposes.

Anyways, I'm glad you got it worked out. Always buy iPhones at the Apple store, I ONLY by apple products at the Apple Store only.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yellow screen, T-Mobile won't exchange

Those are new phones.

Just stripped of accessories.

Go back to Apple. Get your replacement.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They're not refurbs. How does Apple send a refurb of a new phone on launch day? They don't. They're usually brown box phones stripped of accessories. I had a raised glass issue with my iPad 1 and I got a brown box replacement during launch time. There were no refurbs yet.

This is true, they should swap it but writing to the BBB is pointless. Companies do have to respond and basically they all have their spins. In the end, if their rating is terrible then they simply opt out of being a member. It's easy and there is no governing agency that requires them to be a part of the BBB. I was surprised about all of that but once the company I worked for did it, I realized the BBB and the time consumers spend writing to them is just a giant joke.

15. wntrwhte macrumors newbie

I got a warranty replacement two days ago. They come in boxes stripped of accessories but it was a new phone.