Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael.af

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
I think I’m gonna do a new attempt in mid January. The device is so great. Yellow screens are a shame
I returned mine yesterday, as many people have said here... the yellow/green tint is simply unacceptable. Do you think something will change until mid-January? Was this an issue with the first batch of iPhone 11's too?

Reactions: nature

fb1909

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2020
They weren't into the boxes, they were on display. Anyway, yes, the huawei 10 pro has an OLED display (release date 2017) which, by the way, performs way better than my 12 pro display... this is quite disappointing.
P10 Display is blue as f****. CCT about 7200k. Also DeltaE of the P10 is veeeery bad in comparison to the iPhones DeltaE. No wonder why the iPhone display is more yellow.

inigou

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2016
I returned mine yesterday, as many people have said here... the yellow/green tint is simply unacceptable. Do you think something will change until mid-January? Was this an issue with the first batch of iPhone 11's too?
I returned 5. One more try will not do any harm. Mid January, February. Us my plan.

Reactions: michael.af

MacAroni_

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2020
P10 Display is blue as f****. CCT about 7200k. Also DeltaE of the P10 is veeeery bad in comparison to the iPhones DeltaE. No wonder why the iPhone display is more yellow.
I wrote huawei 10 pro but actually it is a huawei mate 10 pro, not a p10. I wrote the correct name in the first message:
Hi everyone, today I have been in three different stores, and I have tried 16 iPhones from the 12 series (4 iPhone pro max, 4 iPhone 12 pro, 4 iPhone 12, 4 iPhone mini) all with true tone and night shift turned off. I've made a comparison between them, my 12 pro and my huawei mate 10 pro.

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
I know some of you are going to disagree, but I'm still holding out hope that it's a software issue. The fact that the screen sometimes looks more yellow for a lot of us, even with TT off, and how aggressive TT is, points to it possibly being a bug with TT that can be fixed in an update. I can't explain how a couple of you have got good screens though.

Micaltech

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
guys i was in apple today and after talking to a technician i was told that according to apple the problem is software and that at most they will be replaced but apple is still investigating .. it was not easy but in the end I asked for the possibility to send it in assistance and so they sent it to Apple .. the technician did not want to send it because he thinks it will come back the same but I insisted because they must understand that this is a serious problem and must be solved..

Micaltech

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
probably my iPhone will return in January the same as before with the same problem but I wanted to try because if we don't try they will never fix anything

Tenkaykev

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2020
I have the 12 Mini and can’t fault the display. I used to be quite keen on photography, had my hobby chemical darkroom back in the ‘60’s ( yes, I’m that old 😉)
When I switched to digital I had a decent monitor, I used to calibrate it using a hardware sensor and software which read the screen.
I’m also aware of the effects that ambient light has on the perception of colour, and that people interpret colours differently, some having greater colour acuity ( and some females having more accurate and acute colour vision )
I’m curious to know if anyone here has actually measured the colour temperature of their screen, or is it just perception, some seeing a yellow screen that others find acceptable?

Nikozzz2000

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2020
Finally got -what seems to be- an acceptable IPhone 12 mini, after 3 unsuccessful first attempts.
I almost gave up and then... I thought let’s try again :) Went to a shop were return is easy.

The 3 previous ones were blue, but since I have a friend who got a good screen on his black model, a bit out of superstition, a bit out of curiosity, I took a black one too, and... it seems to be way better, still a bit warmer than my iPad but way better than the previous ones. Don’t know if this color pattern is a coincidence. (Interestingly, there is a comment on the same shop complaining about a yellow screen for the... blue model)

Anyway, I’ll do a couple of other tests in the coming days to decide for good but I have a good feeling about this one.

Oh, almost forget, the serial is SC7CDQ9 something

Last edited:
Reactions: CuteLittleMiku

Nikozzz2000

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2020
I’m curious to know if anyone here has actually measured the colour temperature of their screen, or is it just perception, some seeing a yellow screen that others find acceptable?

No, here I’ve seen only people who spend a lot of time writing very long posts about how crazy we are for thinking that those screens are bad and that they are real professionals and they have professional equipment. But no one did any measurement yet 🤣

Kyloren0

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2020
Guys, my brother has a new iphone 12, and 4 friends more with iphone 12 and 12 pro, all with yellow tint or green tint. it can't be so much coincidence, i mean 12 different iphone 12 and all with different color tint, one more green or yellow. I will still keep it until mid january or february with color filter on (btw i'm ok with that, the screen looks ok, except for the famous oled smearing or bleeding when scrolling with color grey over true blacks) and see if anything regarding to new manufactured iphones has changed.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Guys, my brother has a new iphone 12, and 4 friends more with iphone 12 and 12 pro, all with yellow tint or green tint. it can't be so much coincidence, i mean 12 different iphone 12 and all with different color tint, one more green or yellow. I will still keep it until mid january or february with color filter on (btw i'm ok with that, the screen looks ok, except for the famous oled smearing or bleeding when scrolling with color grey over true blacks) and see if anything regarding to new manufactured iphones has changed.

I wanna see a green one and a yellow one next to each other, for reference :D

Preferably the green one in a mint green 12/mini, and the yellow one in gold pro/pro max.

Reactions: socceryo3

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
No, here I’ve seen only people who spend a lot of time writing very long posts about how crazy we are for thinking that those screens are bad and that they are real professionals and they have professional equipment. But no one did any measurement yet 🤣
Tons of people in this thread have measures and pro reviewers also have measured and found many 12s with 6300k and below temps. Don’t say stuff like this when you clearly have no clue what’s been discussed in this thread.

Reactions: myllian

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Does this seem normal for 12 Pro?
Both images taken with iPad Air 2019 when 12 Pro display full white image with screen brightness about 50% with True Tone on and NS off. For some reason camera sees it a bit different in both photos even the same test image taken in few seconds apart. I'd say it looks more like in upper photo in real life.

50_1.jpg
50_2.jpg

Problem with it is that often bottom of the screen looks darker and greenish than the upper half especially when display brightness is low but it can be seen with brighter setting too when looking it really.
Also screen orientation plays a big part and turning screen 180 degrees from what it is in the photos I posted here makes it better in real life but holding it usual portrait way in hand reveal this issue rather often.

For the record, I have nothing against warm (that some peoples call yellowish) displays as long as they are even tint across the screen. I prefer warm display over cool blue any day.

Last edited:

socceryo3

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2013
Does this seem normal for 12 Pro?
Both images taken with iPad Air 2019 when 12 Pro display full white image with screen brightness about 50% with True Tone on and NS off. For some reason camera sees it a bit different in both photos even the same test image taken in few seconds apart. I'd say it looks more like in upper photo in real life.

View attachment 1699502 View attachment 1699503

Problem with it is that often bottom of the screen looks darker and greenish than the upper half especially when display brightness is low but it can be seen with brighter setting too when looking it really.
Mine does the opposite. The bottom is brighter instead of darker.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Mine does the opposite. The bottom is brighter instead of darker.
So yours have darker greenish upper half and bottom brighter pinkish/reddish tint, like my photo but inverted? My problem with display is difference in tint between upper and lower half.

socceryo3

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2013
So yours have darker greenish upper half and bottom brighter pinkish/reddish tint, like my photo but inverted? My problem with display is difference in tint between upper and lower half.
No, it's still redder on top and greener on the bottom but it's brighter on the bottom instead of darker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.