Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astro66

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2021
Here's thing thing. I have a Samsung Galaxy s20. It's an OLED made by Samsung. It's not the slightest bit yellow tinted. It's as white as my LCD MacBooks. iPhone 11's and X's aren't yellow. So this isn't just a case of OLED being yellow or that samsung now just makes yellow displays. I get that OLED's by default have more yellow, but as they're obviously capable of displaying white, this is a calibration problem or quality control failure. I'm not saying hate your phone, if you can live with it or use filters, then so be it. If your screen is less on the yellow side then so be it. This is definitely a huge issue though and it is legitimate. It isn't just part of the technology or anything like that. I've yet to see one 12 that isn't too yellow either. It's such a big failure on Apple's part, IMO. Even small companies don't screw up things like that.

BTB2198

Suspended
Jul 9, 2021
Here's thing thing. I have a Samsung Galaxy s20. It's an OLED made by Samsung. It's not the slightest bit yellow tinted. It's as white as my LCD MacBooks. iPhone 11's and X's aren't yellow. So this isn't just a case of OLED being yellow or that samsung now just makes yellow displays. I get that OLED's by default have more yellow, but as they're obviously capable of displaying white, this is a calibration problem or quality control failure. I'm not saying hate your phone, if you can live with it or use filters, then so be it. If your screen is less on the yellow side then so be it. This is definitely a huge issue though and it is legitimate. It isn't just part of the technology or anything like that. I've yet to see one 12 that isn't too yellow either. It's such a big failure on Apple's part, IMO. Even small companies don't screw up things like that.
Yeah, but on Samsung, you can change the color calibration which you can't do on iphone.

ranger052

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2013
I got a new 12 Mini 2 weeks ago and the speaker was bad. Did an exchange under the 14 days policy and the new one had a yellow screen! Went back, got a pro instead and it was worst. Mkre yellow. Exchanged again this past weekend and still yellow. Ordered a new one by mail and got it yesterday and is better but still yellow.
5 phones! One was perfect white but bad speaker, the other 4 looks like a white car that has not being cleaned ( that yellow tint )
I will exchange again but if issue persist then I am getting an SE and done with the 12.

Reactions: klasma

BTB2198

Suspended
Jul 9, 2021
I got a new 12 Mini 2 weeks ago and the speaker was bad. Did an exchange under the 14 days policy and the new one had a yellow screen! Went back, got a pro instead and it was worst. Mkre yellow. Exchanged again this past weekend and still yellow. Ordered a new one by mail and got it yesterday and is better but still yellow.
5 phones! One was perfect white but bad speaker, the other 4 looks like a white car that has not being cleaned ( that yellow tint )
I will exchange again but if issue persist then I am getting an SE and done with the 12.
Wow, mine is a lottle yellow that was made in late January and want to exchange but I may get one with a battery drain or bad speakers or worst pverheating issues. I will take a yellow screen instead of overheating.

Astro66

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2021
Yeah, but on Samsung, you can change the color calibration which you can't do on iphone.
You can calibrate it, so if the screen wasn't white then it could be fixed, but that's not my point. I haven't calibrated it and its stock. So Samsung manages an OLED display default calibrated to white. WE can't adjust the screen on iOS, but Apple within IOS calibrates the screen. IOS should have an option to calibrate the screen for users, but thats a whole other issue. Apple either hasn't calibrated the screen in iOS or more likely, the screens have garbage quality control, so they can calibrate because there is no consistency.

BTB2198

Suspended
Jul 9, 2021
You can calibrate it, so if the screen wasn't white then it could be fixed, but that's not my point. I haven't calibrated it and its stock. So Samsung manages an OLED display default calibrated to white. WE can't adjust the screen on iOS, but Apple within IOS calibrates the screen. IOS should have an option to calibrate the screen for users, but thats a whole other issue. Apple either hasn't calibrated the screen in iOS or more likely, the screens have garbage quality control, so they can calibrate because there is no consistency.
Oh my bad. I agree 100% color fitlers don't do anything to color accuary. On Mac os we change the white point why not on ios. It would help them to because they can make tolerances even less because they know the screen can be change.

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
You can tell that the rgb arrangement will end up representing the white around the letter much more accurately. Green simply has a much more powerful presence in pentile displays obviously.

The only way to truely fix this issue is by going back to the rgb arrangement. Hopefully we’ll see that one day
Yes. OLED is more yellow. But does not excuse why some screens are far warmer than others of the same model by quite a large amount.

BTB2198

Suspended
Jul 9, 2021
Finally got an exchange for my 12 pro made in early July and guess what a worse yellow tint and a muffled speaker. So this is stupid I'm done now.

DontSweatIt

Suspended
Mar 13, 2021
12 pro vs 12 can anybody tell me if these are yellow tints or just warmer colors.
12B2C7E9-6DD3-4E79-B712-79558DAFC68A.jpeg

Astro66

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2021
I ended up just giving up as well and getting a Samsung Android phone. First Android I've ever used after buying only iPhones since the 3G. This isn't the first bad year, but for whatever reason the screen issue is just too much for me. If the only screen I ever used was a phone, it wouldn't be such an issue for me, but literally every other screen myself or anyone I know owns isn't so yellow. I can get used to piss yellow after a while, but the second I look at another screen and go back, it looks awful. That, poor contrast, green greys etc and it totally ruins the benefits of an OLED coming to non-pro models. Not a fan of the sharp, flat sides either that look cool, but aren't at all made for a human being to hold. Having an increasingly wider phone and making it dig in to your hand at the same time probably isn't the most practical idea.

cookiemonster89

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
My 12 Pro is also a lot mir yellow against the xs max from my wife which looks like pure white. Any news from Apple regarding this topic?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Surprised the iPhone 13 yellow screen thread isn't up yet. 😂

Hopefully apple makes everyone happy this year and recalibrates their displays to be a little less yellow on the upcoming iPhone 13s.

Wouldn't hold my breath though.

Thank you for correcting that
Surprised the iPhone 13 yellow screen thread isn't up yet. 😂

Hopefully apple makes everyone happy this year and recalibrates their displays to be a little less yellow on the upcoming iPhone 13s.

Wouldn't hold my breath though.
Less yellow? I want No yellow.

Don’t you dare jinxing it, LOL. I’m expecting Apple develops top of the line screen.

Enough with the lottery already haha 😆

• Haha
Reactions: LFC2020

DontSweatIt

Suspended
Mar 13, 2021
Then you better email this thread to Tim Cook if you want cooler calibrated displays. 😬😂
Why not just add an RGB white balance meter like Samsung it will save them a lot of time and resources calibrating the displays and way fewer people will ask for exchanges or refunds it seems like a win-win for the consumer and Corporate. Macs have this but why not ios.

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
Thank you for correcting that

Less yellow? I want No yellow.

Don’t you dare jinxing it, LOL. I’m expecting Apple develops top of the line screen.

Enough with the lottery already haha 😆
Or how about all phones are calibrated to be uniform. No major discrepancies between batches.

They are expensive enough devices that screens should be calibrated within 100k of each other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.