Yellow Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by themagicsquad, Apr 11, 2008.

1. themagicsquad macrumors newbie

Every so often things like these forums have a yellowish tint on my macbook pro screen. Is that just the forum or do i need to do something?
    I saw the screen issue threads and now im paranoid. My screen seems to have a yellow tint across the whole screen, but I guess more at the bottom. I don't know what is normal anymore. I'm looking through biased eyes. Any tips?

2. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

3. themagicsquad thread starter macrumors newbie

hard to tell with the gray one, but on the black one, the top square is definately brighter/whiter. the bottom might not have been yellow as much as gray though

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Try finding out what LCD screen you have and look up calibrated color profiles for it. That might help a little. Mine's got a tiny bit of yellowing at the bottom, but compared to some of the other pics online of the yellowing issue mine's pretty darn good.

5. PDE macrumors 68020

It sounds like you have slight spell of uneven illumination rather than yellowing. That just means that the lower part of the screen is slightly less bright than the upper part - all LCDs on laptops are unevenly illuminated if measured objectively. The good ones are the ones that the eye cannot perceived to be uneven, i.e. the ones where the differences between various areas in brightness are imperceptible in general use.

6. themagicsquad thread starter macrumors newbie

should i get it fixed/replaced? for this much $$ id like it to be perfect.

7. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

If you're within your 14 days return time... get it exchanged.
    If not, show it to some "genius" and see what he says.

8. PDE macrumors 68020

Which model of LCD do you have?

I have to say, if I were you and this is 'just' a matter of a slightly unevenly lit display I would not try to push my luck. I'm very picky with LCDs but unless you've got a problem that bothers you all the time, it's just not worth risking getting something much worse! You could get one with a worse display or, a machine with some other problem. If you have the time and energy to go through multiple swaps, then fine, but if you don't think carefully before you ask for another one or ask for a screen replacement.

Good luck!

9. themagicsquad thread starter macrumors newbie

i called. they told me i couldnt swap it, i have to send it in for repair which will take 7-10 days. I don't want to wait that long. I asked for them to ship me a box. Anyone know how to cancel it without calling again?

10. asmallchild macrumors regular

is there a time limit on this?

i'm a new mac user and while I can see a very faint yellowing and a very faint vertical black line image, I'm not sure it's worth exchanging

(i need to turn the brightness al the way up, hide the dock, and apply an all white desktop wallpaper. and even then, i'm not entirely sure if I'm actually seeing it or psyching myself out into thinking it's present)

as for as normal use (i.e. with the dock present and a wallpape) the issue never rears its head. even if i'm bringing up an all-white background website like google

so i plan on keeping it

but if it gets worse, does apple care entitle me to an exchange? or a repair? or an on -the-spot fixing of the screen?

11. PDE macrumors 68020

Usually within 14 days, Apple will swap it out for a new one. After that, they'll repair which means replacing the entire display bezel - a relatively fast procedure but not on the spot.