Yellow Spots and Genius Bar

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kels0119, Jul 21, 2010.

1. kels0119 macrumors member

kels0119

Just sharing my experience at Genius bar with y'all in case any of you are in my same situation...

I was able to pre-order my iPhone 4 and I received it on the 23rd. After syncing with iTunes, I went and started changing all the settings to what I wanted and I immediately noticed that I had a yellow spot on the bottom right hand of my screen. I also noticed that as I used it more and it got warmer the spot would spread upwards and stretch along the side. When the phone would cool down (usually at night time when it was chargning) I would check it and it was gone.

I kept checking out threads on here and noticed some people had them as well. Then I read about the "compund/glue" theory stating that it didn't have time to cure. I waited it out and a couple of days ago decided to schedule an appointment before my 30 days was up. Today I went to the Apple store (North Point Mall in Ga), checked in and started running several apps on my iphone. I did that because (naturally) my phone was barely showing the yellow spot, I was trying to get it to show up so the Genius woudn't think I was crazy. I was finally called to the bar and told the guy (can we name names?) what the deal was, he said that Apple issued a notice to the Apple Store Supervisors that it was a glue compound that had to dry. I told him that I had been using it from a month. He basically just stood there and said 'uhhh' and then said that they couldn't "fix it". I told him that I knew they couldn't fix it and that I wanted to switch because I didn't want to end up being stuck with and then the yellow starts to spread more.

He opened a drawer and pulled out the little black box with an iphone in it and started to put my sim in it, I asked if I could play with it for a few minutes before I officially signed off on it to make sure it didn't have spots and he said it was fine. I opened the camera up, recorded some video and a couple of other things and never saw a spot, so went back to bar, signed the sheet and walked out with my phone. 6 hours later, still doing well.

I didn't come on here to brag, I just wanted to let others know just in case they are planning on returning/exchanging theirs.

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

nice! i recently replaced mine too. it's nice having a retina display that's perfect!!!!!

3. nkr1974 macrumors regular

yeah, i'm still having spots/lines a week and a half after use. i went last weekend to the store and the guy told me that if they never went away that i actually had the whole year to get a replacement. i'll probably wait for a little while longer to make sure they have "better" ones in those mysterious black boxes that contain perfect iphones. my spots/lines show up when the phone is hot too. everything else is absolutely perfect on the phone. another reason that i am hesitant to exchange it just yet. side note, can they legally take a phone from a past user (someone who returned theirs earlier this month) and give it to us as a replacement? i'm sure they can't but just want to make sure. glad you got your's taken care of. i'll definitely be exchanging mine pretty soon i think.

4. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Hmm iMac 27" with IPS LED screens having issues the first 3mths now the iPhone 4 as well - same screen type. Seems to issues of how manufacturing the IPS LED screen that Foxconn is assembling. That or a new compound switch is required.

Geet RRRR Done!

Nice to know there are models that can be exchanged in mint condition. I think this is a first for ANY manufacturer in the industry.

5. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Yep, I replaced my first iPhone 4 for a replacement. Got home and the home button seemed more stiff. I didn't really care as the rest was great. However, about two weeks later the home button stopped working and needed to be forced down. Took it back for another replacement and received a perfect phone. :cool:

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I for one have always had great experiences with Customer Service at the Genius Bar. They have always met my needs and exceeded my expectations, and I have visited them often owning Macs since 1987, iPods, laptops, iPad and iPhone.

Good to hear a positive experience

7. kels0119 thread starter macrumors member

kels0119

I was nervous at first because I didn't want them to think I was just a whiner and just trying to get a new phone. Then I was even more worried when the yellow spots wouldn't show up while I was waiting. While talking to the Genius he started trying to tell me that it was the glue but he agreed with me and let me switch. It was an all around good experience, I was really planning for the worst. Glad I didn't have to go 'there'.