Yellow Test?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigdb11, Dec 17, 2008.

1. bigdb11 macrumors regular

What's a good test besides angled viewing to see if a screen has a yellowing problem? I just exchanged my first MBP that had creaking hinges for a new one and this one has the 9c85 chi mei display and the previous had 9c84 lg. the 9c85 is the main culprit when it comes to yellow displays, correct?

2. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

3. 7even macrumors 6502a

Here's a test..
    1) Do white colors look yellow to you when viewing the screen straight on?
    1a) If in doubt, compare to any other screen you deem "ok".

4. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Not really. Seems a little more yellow near the bottom though...

5. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

I would honestly recommend people not run these yellowing "tests". If you don't notice the "yellowing" or discoloration normally, then you'd never know. When I first got my SR MBP 2.2 I had heard and read about this issue, so one of the first things I did with my new MBP was to run the test. And sure enough it was a little yellowed, but I had not even noticed it before. I never returned it, but for a while it bugged me and I kept thinking about it. Now is doesn’t even bother me and I really don't even notice, except maybe when the entire screen is grey... which is never.

Funny enough, I ran the same test of my desktop's LCD, Samsung xxx. I've had this setup for over 4yrs or so and I never heard about the issue before and honestly never even thought about it or noticed it on the display. Man, when I ran the test... the Samsung was very yellowed, terrible. I would have returned that one if I knew about it. Having never heard of the issue and what to look for I actually never noticed it under normal usage. :D

6. T10HJS macrumors member

now I've read about this i feel inclined to try it, but after your advise think i will try forget about it as i would end up testing all my screens and it would most probably end in spending money i don't have

7. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Exactly, unless you're a pro or using the display for photo/video purposes and need a 100% accurate and calibrated screen... then don't sorry about it. In the end it doesn't really matter if you can't notice it, plus no two screens are the same, some are a little more this color, some a little more that.